locate product key RRS feed

• Question

• I can not locate the product key for my computer, now what?

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hello karencandy,

The product key for Windows installations can be found in one of two places:

1.  If the computer came from a manufacturer with Windows preinstalled, the computer has an OEM license for Windows, and therefore will have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the computer describing the version and edition of Windows the computer is licensed to run.  The product key will be printed on this CoA.  Lately laptop manufacturers have been putting the CoAs inside the battery compartment, where they are better protected against wear.

2.  If the installed Windows was purchased separately at retail, then the computer has a retail full or retail upgrade license for Windows.  The retail package has a CoA on the outer boxtop, but the retail CoA does not have the product key printed on it.  Inside the retail package, look for a yellow-orange "Proof of License" label, which will have the product key printed on it.

Does that help?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:17 AM
  • "studiodrummer" wrote in message news:3c4f08ec-a176-41e3-b01b-ed87eb42b570...

Hello, If the previous answer did not help you , this will work.  I use it on all my machines as does almost everyone I know who deals with computers, It will be useful to you for future purposes so copy or print the results.

Go to Belarc.com ( It's called Belarc advisor) It's free, and download this program and run it.....It will not only tell you everything that is installed on your computer, it will also give you the key codes to all software.

Hope this helps.....;0)

Belarc and all the other key finder programs will find the "installed" key but if the OP ever would need to reinstall the OS on any "famous maker" PC then the OP would also need the license key that is physically attached to the computer.  Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony, etc. all use a special drive clone key that will not activate any restore or OEM disk supplied with the computer.  Only the physically attached key will activate any repair media.  Those types of programs are definitely useable for any retail version of the operating system.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hello karencandy,

The product key for Windows installations can be found in one of two places:

1.  If the computer came from a manufacturer with Windows preinstalled, the computer has an OEM license for Windows, and therefore will have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the computer describing the version and edition of Windows the computer is licensed to run.  The product key will be printed on this CoA.  Lately laptop manufacturers have been putting the CoAs inside the battery compartment, where they are better protected against wear.

2.  If the installed Windows was purchased separately at retail, then the computer has a retail full or retail upgrade license for Windows.  The retail package has a CoA on the outer boxtop, but the retail CoA does not have the product key printed on it.  Inside the retail package, look for a yellow-orange "Proof of License" label, which will have the product key printed on it.

Does that help?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Hello, If the previous answer did not help you , this will work.  I use it on all my machines as does almost everyone I know who deals with computers, It will be useful to you for future purposes so copy or print the results.

Go to Belarc.com ( It's called Belarc advisor) It's free, and download this program and run it.....It will not only tell you everything that is installed on your computer, it will also give you the key codes to all software.

Hope this helps.....;0)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:30 PM
  • "studiodrummer" wrote in message news:3c4f08ec-a176-41e3-b01b-ed87eb42b570...

Hello, If the previous answer did not help you , this will work.  I use it on all my machines as does almost everyone I know who deals with computers, It will be useful to you for future purposes so copy or print the results.

Hope this helps.....;0)

Belarc and all the other key finder programs will find the "installed" key but if the OP ever would need to reinstall the OS on any "famous maker" PC then the OP would also need the license key that is physically attached to the computer.  Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony, etc. all use a special drive clone key that will not activate any restore or OEM disk supplied with the computer.  Only the physically attached key will activate any repair media.  Those types of programs are definitely useable for any retail version of the operating system.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:29 PM