Unable to connect to your home server RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to install the software on my laptop ( Dell Latitude 600 ) and I keep getting the following

Unable to connect to your home server

The following issues may cause this problem.

Your home server is not powered on

A firewall on this computer is blocking the connection

A proxy server is configured on the computer for the network connection.

I have tried to turn the windows firewall off and my mcaffey firewall and I still get this same message.  I have tried to uninstall and then reinstalled the windows home server software and I am still having problems.  I have installed the software on my sons laptop which is identical to mine except for the size of the hard drive.

Monday, April 5, 2010 12:06 PM

All replies

• Can you ping the server by servername or IP address?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 11:23 PM
  • its telling me that I am unable to connect to the home server.  which means that I cannot ping the server from the laptop.   I keep thinking that it has something to do with the firewall settings but I am not sure if that is the problem.  And yes the server is turned on.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Lets get this right - if you go to start->run Type cmd and hit enter and in the windows type "ping servername"  replacing servername with it's IP or it's name you get nothing?  In which case what home server have you got? 
    --
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:21 AM
  • I cannot ping the server which is an HP EX475 Home Media Server from my laptop.  I can ping the server from my desktop which does get a backup by the server on a daily basis. I cannot even ping the desktop from the laptop and I know that they are both on the network.  The laptop is using a wireless connection and the desktop isn't.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:35 PM
  • The issue is with your laptop, not with Windows Home Server. Try a wired connection for your laptop, to see if that lets you fully access your server and other home computers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:57 PM
  • I

totally agree that the issue is with the laptop.  If you would have checked the first statement of the problem then you would have read that the issue was with the laptop and not the server.  I was trying to get help with the problem of

This is the message I am getting on the laptop when I try to get the software loaded on it.  I have removed McAfee from the laptop and have turned off the windows firewall on my laptop and I am still getting this error.  I don't know what to do next.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I understand the issue is with the laptop that is what I said from the start.  I am getting this message when I try to install the software on my laptop.

I have since removed mcaffey from my laptop and I am still getting this message on the laptop.  I have no idea what to do next.  Anybody else have this problem.  I would really like to be able to have a backup of my laptop

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:28 PM
  • So does a wired connection work?

Can you ping your router from the laptop?

Can you ping something on the internet from your laptop?

--

Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:58 AM
  • I have tried a wired connection.  I literally took the wire out of the back of another desktop that I added yesterday and put it in the back of the laptop.  I disabled the wireless from my laptop and tried.  So, that it would have to use the wired connection.  I still had no luck getting the software to load onto my laptop.  I am using the same disc to load all the PC's.  I still believe this is either a firewall stopping it or a proxy server.  How do I find out what the proxy server is and change it to what I need or shut it off??
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:16 PM
  • And yes I can get on the internet and if I had something to ping I could ping it on the internet.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:17 PM
  • What is the IP and subnet configuration on all items in your network?
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:57 PM
  • The server IP address is 192.168.1.101

The Desktop IP address is 192.168.1.100

The Laptop IP address is 192.168.1.102

My Laptop IP address 192.168.1.104

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Friday, April 9, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Try disabled the firewall on your laptop.  Are you using the built in Windows Firewall on the laptop?  Also if you want to ping something on the internet there are plenty of places to try i.e. ping www.google.com

--
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:02 AM
  • The laptop's firewalls have been turned off.  I said that at the top of this forum.

I have tried to turn the windows firewall off and my mcaffey firewall and I still get this same message.

The server IP address is 192.168.1.101

The Desktop IP address is 192.168.1.100

The Laptop IP address is 192.168.1.102

My Laptop IP address 192.168.1.104

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Please from the client computer try to ping your server.  From the server try to ping your client computers.

Are you manually setting those IP addresses - the most likely cause is you have made a mistake on your DELL Computer.

--
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Which one PC are you talking about the desktop ( which is connected to the server ) or my laptop which is not connected.  I have tried to connect to the server using a LAN connection from my laptop but it was not successful.  This server has no physical monitor, keyboard or mouse for me to try and ping anything.  I remote into it from my desktop.

I did not set the IP addresses and yes, I do realize that I made a mistake.  I am looking for someone to tell me where to start looking to where the mistake was made.  So, that I can find it and correct it.  The Windows firewall is turned off.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:11 PM
  • I meant to write client computers - try from all of them then you will see where the problem is. 

A likely cause is that the gateway or DNS server is set wrong somewhere but it's up to you to go poke around and find out.  Good luck and make sure you read things twice as it's all to easy to imagine the right IP address.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:14 PM