Starting fresh after botched license upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Was running WHS trial for only about 20 days when I got license. When I installed I somehow, don't remember why, stopped the installation and then let it continue. I am probably at fault for the issue it created.....backups would no longer run, nor could I force them. The option was greyed out. All of my files on the server were OK and over the last few days I have packaged them and all of the mobo drivers, anti virus etc to just start over and do a clean install, so I do not mind wiping the sata terrabyte drive to clean up the problem. Could someone give advice before I start the next install process in how to wipe the drive and have a true clean license install? The WHS shipped with Power pack 1, so I am aware there will also be a fair amount of downloads, but like I said, I am trying to get a nice, clean install, so that as I start to depend on the server it is fully functional.

Running gigabyte g31-es2l
    e5200 dual core
    2 gigs ram
    on board video
    on board sound
    WD FALS terrabyte drive with 2nd terrabyte drive in route

I realize that I could just wait on the new HD and install there......but I beat a new drive up on my main pc for 30 days before I give it a mission critical function.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:15 AM

Answers

• Thanks Chris, my memory was fuzzy on that one. I did not want to get it started until I could sit it out and finish it. Seem to remember stopping the install cuz the boot order in bios was wrong. That can screw up an install....I know....should have been dvd/hdd/ and I think I had it dvd/dvd. Dumb mistakes can cost you a few hours of grief....but that's OK....It's a pretty neat package.....Will follow your advice on the selection screen to make sure no other issues.

Again thanks!

Will mark subject as solved should this work out or post back if other problem.
    • Marked as answer by paschal123 Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:16 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:48 PM

All replies

• Simply boot from your WHS DVD.  When setup starts, you should be presented with two options:  New Installation, or Server Reinstallation.
    If you are, select the latter (Server Reinstallation), and let it run.  Do not interrupt it in any way until it boots to the Welcome screen (desktop logon.)
    Server Reinstallation is a special installation mode:  it reinstalls the OS itself, but doesn't disturb your Shared Folders in any way.  You'll need to recreate user accounts, as well as reinstall any add-ins that you had, though.
    Once it does, then logon, open the Console, and run Windows Update from there until there are no more updates available.

Reconnect your clients to the 'new' server, by running (on each client) Discovery.exe, located in \Program Files\Windows Home Server.

If, when you boot from the WHS DVD, you are not presented with the Reinstallation option, do not proceed at this point.  Post back here for further advice (a New Installation will wipe every drive in the system.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Thanks Chris, my memory was fuzzy on that one. I did not want to get it started until I could sit it out and finish it. Seem to remember stopping the install cuz the boot order in bios was wrong. That can screw up an install....I know....should have been dvd/hdd/ and I think I had it dvd/dvd. Dumb mistakes can cost you a few hours of grief....but that's OK....It's a pretty neat package.....Will follow your advice on the selection screen to make sure no other issues.

Again thanks!

Will mark subject as solved should this work out or post back if other problem.
    • Marked as answer by paschal123 Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:16 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:48 PM