Can't use Bitlocker on backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently running into a problem with Home Server 2011 when trying use Bitlocker to encrypt a backup drive.

What happens is I have the main drive which is encrypted with Bitlocker and then I have a second internal drive that is not encrypted.  
    I setup the backup drive as a backup in the dashboard, but when I go back to setup Bitlocker under manage Bitlocker, the backup drive does not show up.

After, that happened, I removed the drive from backup and then went back to manage Bitlocker.  Since it was no longer a backup, I was able to see the drive under manage Bitlocker.  I was then able to encrypt the drive.  After encrypting it, I went back to dashboard to select it as a backup.  After setting it as backup though the drive is no longer encrypted and again does not show under manage Bitlocker.  

Anybody have any idea what may be wrong?

Thanks

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:35 PM

Answers

• I don't use Bitlocker but I assume it's because a server backup drive isn't normally given a drive letter, which it appears Bitlocker needs. Try this:

To assign a drive letter to the backup hard disk drive In the Server Manager navigation pane, click Storage, and then click Disk Management. Right-click the backup drive, and then click Change Drive Letter and Path. Click Add, choose a drive letter from the drop-down menu, and then click OK. Click Yes, and then close Server Manager.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, February 18, 2013 1:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rush1534 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:37 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:07 AM

All replies

• I don't use Bitlocker but I assume it's because a server backup drive isn't normally given a drive letter, which it appears Bitlocker needs. Try this:

To assign a drive letter to the backup hard disk drive In the Server Manager navigation pane, click Storage, and then click Disk Management. Right-click the backup drive, and then click Change Drive Letter and Path. Click Add, choose a drive letter from the drop-down menu, and then click OK. Click Yes, and then close Server Manager.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, February 18, 2013 1:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rush1534 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:37 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Thank you Phil for your reply, it worked!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:39 AM