problem with live recording to whs drive RRS feed

• Question

• I ,v read all the articles to  directly tv recordings to whs.

So I started myself with whs rc1 and vista ultimate as my home httpc.

I made all the registry changes to make the shared tv folder on whs visible on my vmc.

the recorded tv folder is shown up on my vmc

so I want to make a test recording on the vmc to see if the program is recording to the whs drive.

But itis not recording properly actually it hangs because file size of the recorded progam is not growing on the whs drive.

When I record locally I don't have any problem.

Aslo I notice sometimes that the progam is recording for a while and filesize is growing but the vmc is still recording for hours ,but the program time is only half an hour .

I have the feeling the problem is on the whs drive., I think it's going wrong when it started recording on the whs driveand it's hungs after a couple fo minutes.

I checked my drive and the drive is ok

I checked also the share and write permissions but when I copy a large file to the share there are no writing problems.

Why fails the recording to the whs drive? has someone suggestions?

please I need some help
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:01 PM

Answers

•  

An update anyone looking at this post before,  the problem was fixed.

I got a email form andrewfirth here is the email.

"Hi richard , are you on holiday? long time no response

I want to let you know that the problem I had with live recording on the
    whs drive is solved

After a  long term of investigation I find out that bad memory stick
    created random errors ( bluescreen , random errors and i think also
    hanging with the recordings).

After  replacing the dimm with a good one I was able to record to whs."

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:18 PM

All replies

• Can you show me the Registry settings you set on WHS and on Vista.?

Edit: or the gpedit settings on WHS

Friday, July 20, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Two days ago I set-up a second MCE PC, and had multiple MCE PCs simultaneously recording over a network to WHS at the same time, all of the TV recordings showing up in my Recorded TV list in the two MCE PC, and on the 360 extender.

Give me your settings I can fix this.

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:54 PM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Two days ago I set-up a seconed MCE PC, and had multiple MCE PCs simultaneously recording over a network to WHS at the same time, all of the TV recordings showing up in my Recorded TV list in the two MCE PC, and on the 360 extender.

Give me your settings I can fix this.

Sorry if I hijack this topic.

Richard,

If possible, can you direct me to a web page where I can have full info about the above subject.

Thanks in advanced.

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:02 PM
  • Friday, July 20, 2007 6:05 PM
  • I use SageTV, it plays nice with the replicated folders and I don't have to make changes to WHS.
    YMMV.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Many thanks for the link Richard.

Good info there indeed!

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Hi richard

I hope you can help me because I spent days to get it working properly

On the Whs

I made the following changes

under network access shares can be accessed anonymously  I added Recorded TV

under network acces  let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users I set to enabled

also I use the batchfile and I checked the share permissions under recorded tv shared folder

by the sharetab

I have everyone and anonymous logon with full control

under security I have  the same.

on my vista ultimate

I have a watched folder entry with  the unc path \\neptunus\Recorded TV

and a record path  with  \\neptunus\Recorded TV

that are all the changes I made

Also I noticed that quota setting for the diskpace is created when I setup the tv storage location in vmc on my local second hd which I use now for recording because recording directly is not working properly.

My main goal is to use only a small disk for the os and record everything to the whs.

vmc shows me the quotasize of the second hd, but it is not showing the available size of the storage pool on whs.

My main problem is when I start a recording from the guide on my vmc it's starting ,but when I check on my whs if it recording I can see it hangs and filesize is not growing

at that time I have to reboot my vista because it is responding very slowly. when I record on my local second drive it is recording wthout any problem.

If it was a permission or security problem why can I copy normally large files to the recorded tv share folder  without any problem?.

Iam thinking the vmc tries to start the recording on the share but hangs after a 5 seconds. 

Friday, July 20, 2007 9:50 PM
  • the NullSessionShares key, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters are the same settings as the gpedit for "network access shares can be accessed anonymously" so you should be could there.

What is the Quota number in the Registry (on Vista)?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording]
    "Quota"

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:44 PM
  • the quota setting on the vista pc 163823123456, but I guess thats the size of second local hd which is 160gb drive

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Its the size for recorded TV for that drive on Vista, yes about 160 gigs it looks like you have second drive on Vista for just TV recordings.
    How gigs of recorded TV on WHS? do you more than 160 gigs?
    What is the total size of D:\ on WHS?

Saturday, July 21, 2007 12:07 AM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Its the size for recorded TV for that drive on Vista, yes about 160 gigs it looks like you have second drive on Vista for just TV recordings.
    How gigs of recorded TV on WHS? do you more than 160 gigs?
    What is the total size of D:\ on WHS?

total size of d: on whs = 729gb with 510gb free space

you think the space on whs has something to do with recording issue?. I think recording a program from 15 minutes must be not problem with 500gb free space.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:50 PM
  •  

An update anyone looking at this post before,  the problem was fixed.

I got a email form andrewfirth here is the email.

"Hi richard , are you on holiday? long time no response

I want to let you know that the problem I had with live recording on the
    whs drive is solved

After a  long term of investigation I find out that bad memory stick
    created random errors ( bluescreen , random errors and i think also
    hanging with the recordings).

After  replacing the dimm with a good one I was able to record to whs."

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:18 PM