Counterfeit Upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a computer from someone I know and it came with XP and evidently the software is counterfeit. I don't want to ask them if it's counterfeit because that would be a little awkward. So i was wandering if i would be able to purchase Windows Vista basic upgrade or would i have to buy the whole version? Im hoping that it will let me just upgrade because it's much cheaper. 

Thank You
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hello 0utcold,

To upgrade to Windows Vista, you first must have a Genuine Windows to upgrade from.

In other words, no, you can't install a Vista Upgrade over a non-genuine copy of Windows XP.

Thank you,
    Darin mS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello 0utcold,

To upgrade to Windows Vista, you first must have a Genuine Windows to upgrade from.

In other words, no, you can't install a Vista Upgrade over a non-genuine copy of Windows XP.

Thank you,
    Darin mS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hello outcold,

If the computer has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to it, or if it is a name brand computer, chances are it's still got a valid Windows license, which just has to be put back on the computer for it to be genuine.

Let us know....
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:17 PM