Weird Experiences RRS feed

• Question

• Well, this beta has been a experience so far. I download the images and rebuild the spare pc to use as the server. i insert the disc, and installation proceeds as normal and then blue screens after restart. i re-try the installation a few times, before wondering if i need to insert sata drivers after the reboot. i press f6(like a normal windows install) and insert the drivers. installation then proceeds as normal, a step that i didnt expect to have to take. the title of the installer is Windows Small Business Server, Homeserver is clearly built from bits of everything!

so i get the server installed, and am confident everything will work. I eventually manage to reset admin password, and log in to desktop. i then attempt to create 2 new users, but that gives error message when trying to set user permissions.

next i install the connecter software on my pc, this works alright, but then once the pc is connected to server, refuses to log in. i can however access the server shares through network and sharing center.

finally log back in to home server, on the machine itself, random explorer crashes and error messages. explorer is often crashing and i just think, its only a beta 2 product, and this hardware must be ***.

thought i'd post this, but any ideas how to sort these issues, please respond.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:08 PM

Answers

• Well, this is strange. I came back this morn, turned on the WHS PC, and that booted fine, no errors. i then went to the console and successfully added 2 new users, and then went on to other pc and connected. everything is working properly this morning, so i have no idea what was wrong. im gonna continue to test and submit bugs if i find them.

thanks for the help though
    Friday, February 23, 2007 12:47 PM

All replies

•  Barty Lambert wrote:
    finally log back in to home server, on the machine itself, random explorer crashes and error messages. explorer is often crashing

From the Admin desktop, please open Device Manager -- do you have any devices with warnings of any kind?

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Did you create the 2 users from the Windows Home Server Console on your home server or did you connect to your home server by launching the Console from one of your PCs after installing the Windows Home Server Connector software? 

What was the error message on adding the users?  Did you file a bug at http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer?

What is your hardware setup on your home server?  Did you run TALQ and submit a bug for the Explorer crashes?

Friday, February 23, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Well, this is strange. I came back this morn, turned on the WHS PC, and that booted fine, no errors. i then went to the console and successfully added 2 new users, and then went on to other pc and connected. everything is working properly this morning, so i have no idea what was wrong. im gonna continue to test and submit bugs if i find them.

thanks for the help though
    Friday, February 23, 2007 12:47 PM
  • What kind of error messages were you getting?
    were they from the WHS Console, or were they system errors?
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:45 AM