No clients can connect to my Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• A few months ago I lost all contact with my home server. I haven't been able to contact it ever since with any of my pc's. I've tried many, and I've changed my whole home network since then. And I've wasted quite a few hours on this now.

My Home Server contacts my wireless router and leases an IP address. But it has changed name, and after a restart it changes name again. Now the name is "minint-v1mtiob". It seems that it always begins with "minint-"

-The Windows Home Server connector setup reports that it cannot find the Home Server. I've tried putting in both the IP address and the name.
    -It doesn't respond to http.
    -I can't find it in Windows Explorer using things like "\\minint-v1mtiob\"
    -It doesn't respond to Remote Desktop connection

I really hate that this machine don't have a display connector. :-S

I hope some of you might be able to help.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:50 AM

All replies

• You don't say whether your server is home-built or from an OEM such as HP or Acer, but it sounds to me like you have an OEM server which is in recovery mode. If it does this even after a restart it may be defective; I would say you should contact the manufacturer for support on this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Yes, it's an OEM. Fujitsu Siemens.

I'm afraid that they will destroy the data on the hard drives if I return it.
    Is it possible in any way to restore the data to another pc ?

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:50 PM
  • This faq describes how to recover the data off your server's drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:08 AM
  • The name minint... seems to point to the fact, that the server is started in recovery mode (which normally should only happen, if somebody initiated this at one time in the history).
    Therefore you will need to uninstall the Connector Software on one client and then use the Server installation DVD to reinstall your server.
    In some cases it has been usefull to copy the contents of that disk to the harddrive of the client before starting the recovery process.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:42 PM