How can I convert my Money 2005 from my XP to my new Windows 8.1? And no, I don't want to downgrade to 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know how I may get my Mircosoft $ to be compatible to Windows 8.1? Before I open my new computer, I want to make sure I can do it. I don't trust any of these secondary tools online to do it. I have seen the Sunset program but will it work for '05?
    • Moved by Mike Kinsman Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:26 PM MS Money Question
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have no idea, but you can ask in the Money forum here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?category=money&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

This forum is meant for feedback on the TechNet website/subscriptions, not product support.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Dominic is correct, but here's a bit more information:

Money will run just fine on Windows 8.1.  No conversion programs needed.  All you have to do is :

- copy your money file and any backups to the new computer

- install Money on the new computer

Because you have Money 2005, you can't use your original Money installation disk.  That program requires an online update that is no longer available.  Instead, look at the second "sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download the appropriate installation file for your region.  Then use that file to install Money on your new computer.

Also, as always, make sure that you also keep a current backup of your Money file on a flash drive, CD, or DVD in case you have a computer failure.  

Post back if you have problems.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, August 8, 2014 1:11 PM Added comment on backups.
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44 PM