Client Restore Volume Size Mismatch RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS version 1500 eval for the last 30 days.  everything tests well except for restore.  Before I commit myself to this product I want all 3 of my PC's to be capable of a bare metal restore that is easy enough for a 5th grader to execute.

I got stuck on my first restore.  This PC is a Dell C400 with only win xp sp3 loaded.  I started by wiping the drive.  I tried booting with the original whs client restore from version 1500, eval version i got in the mail and the version released around 7/12/08. All of them required a usb nic driver to get started, which was easy enough. 

All versions give me a red X on restore.  The source is listed as 18.63 gb and the desitnation is listed as 18.63 gb.  This is crazy, this is the same drive.  I have tried disk manager with each version using the default allocation unit, 512kb unit, 1024 unit, all yeilding the red X.  I tried normal ntfs format, and quick.  In any case volume space is allways 18.63 gb, and free space is 18.54 gb. I don't know what would consume 96 mb after a simple format.  Is the free space the issue? Am i short 1 cluster? Can anyone help me. 

I also pulled down the latest power pack 1, now i am running version 1800. same results.

As a comment: the restore is not very 5th grader friendly.  this screen shows a red X which is apparently a bad thing, but no other information is offered.  More info would be helpful.  By the way, I am not a 5th grader. Wink

Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:55 AM

Answers

•  George4 wrote:
    I have been running WHS version 1500 eval for the last 30 days.  everything tests well except for restore.  Before I commit myself to this product I want all 3 of my PC's to be capable of a bare metal restore that is easy enough for a 5th grader to execute.

I got stuck on my first restore.  This PC is a Dell C400 with only win xp sp3 loaded.  I started by wiping the drive.  I tried booting with the original whs client restore from version 1500, eval version i got in the mail and the version released around 7/12/08. All of them required a usb nic driver to get started, which was easy enough. 

All versions give me a red X on restore.  The source is listed as 18.63 gb and the desitnation is listed as 18.63 gb.  This is crazy, this is the same drive.  I have tried disk manager with each version using the default allocation unit, 512kb unit, 1024 unit, all yeilding the red X.  I tried normal ntfs format, and quick.  In any case volume space is allways 18.63 gb, and free space is 18.54 gb. I don't know what would consume 96 mb after a simple format.  Is the free space the issue? Am i short 1 cluster? Can anyone help me. 

I also pulled down the latest power pack 1, now i am running version 1800. same results.

As a comment: the restore is not very 5th grader friendly.  this screen shows a red X which is apparently a bad thing, but no other information is offered.  More info would be helpful.  By the way, I am not a 5th grader.

WHS can only restore to a drive of at least equal size.  While it's the same drive, the free space is less after formatting.  You should try deleting all partitions from that drive, then try the restore.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:01 AM

All replies

•  George4 wrote:
    I have been running WHS version 1500 eval for the last 30 days.  everything tests well except for restore.  Before I commit myself to this product I want all 3 of my PC's to be capable of a bare metal restore that is easy enough for a 5th grader to execute.

As a comment: the restore is not very 5th grader friendly.  this screen shows a red X which is apparently a bad thing, but no other information is offered.  More info would be helpful.  By the way, I am not a 5th grader.

WHS can only restore to a drive of at least equal size.  While it's the same drive, the free space is less after formatting.  You should try deleting all partitions from that drive, then try the restore.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I did not mention in my first post that I removed the partition (only 1) with each version before I formatted.  Today I restored the original partition that I snapped a copy with g4u before I wiped the first time, and it booted up win xp perfectly.   After the g4u restore, the whs restore was able to restore over the data already there, I was also able to format with whs disk manager and restore again.  I wasn't able to find a utility to determine the exact drive setups so I could compare. I was happy with g4u (though not 5th grader friendly) but it wouldn’t run on my other pc's. 

I really like the whs backup feature. There has to be a better way to work with these partitions.  I am afraid to try any tests on my other pc's without an alternate backup.  I'll have to pick a spare sata drive to do more bare metal testing. 

Any suggestions how to work more intelligently with these partitions?  I really want to get this working, so I can spend less time formatting, loading and backing up.

Thanks Again.

George

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Drive sizes are confusing. Smile

Your 20 GB drive isn't really 20 GB as the operating system measures disk space. It's actually 18.63 raw, unformatted GB. (The drive manufacturer measures 1 GB as 109 bytes. As the operating system turns, it's 230 bytes.) Normally, when you create an NTFS partition on a drive of that size that doesn't have any partitions to begin with, you will get slightly less space than that in the partition. (The rest is used for control structures, the partition table, and spare space in case a disk sector turns up bad at some point.) There are ways to get slightly more, but they aren't obvious and, in the long run, aren't really desirable. And the Restore CD won't let you use them in any case.

What I would consider, in your case, is rebuilding the computer with the 20 GB drive to contain a larger drive, then restore onto that.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:56 PM