Auto Backup does not work RRS feed

• Question

• My server will NOT auto backup my computers. I can manually back them up. I can store data on the server, work the console...create users, everything except auto backup.

Server is a dell P4 2.8 with 512MB ram. Primary HD is a 320GB, second drive is a 120GB samsung.

First computer is a pentium core2duo, 2gb ram, 74gb Raptor. Second drive is a 250gb WD. The 250GB drive is excluded from the backup.

Second computer is a core2duo, 1gb ram, 74 gb raptor as the only drive.

Both machines run XP Pro, Both HD are less than 20GB full.

All three installs are almost brand new. PCs are less than a month old on new hard drives. Server install is less than 3 days old.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:42 AM

Answers

• Well, problem solved! my switch had an intermittent power supply. Would shut down, lose all network connections. Cool down and would work again. Finally it failed while I was on the machine. Easy to solve after that. Thanks for all thehelp.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:00 AM

All replies

• First, are the PC's that aren't backing up turned off, or in Hibernate?  If so, they won't.  Set the PC's to go into Standby.

Second, configure the server to start backups at some time other than midnight.  There appears to be an issue with this setting. I've set mine to run from 1 AM to 6 AM and all PC's backup successfully every day.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:27 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. The machines never sleep, just the monitor turns off in 20 mins.

I've tried other hours for start times, no change.

I've done a default install all the way. The server says it's ready to do a daily backup, but then nothing.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:48 AM
  • I see EXACTLY the same thing with my two systems.  It is not the firewall and neither system hybernates or standbys.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Well, last night it DID backup automatically!!! I still have no idea why it did this time. I've changed nothing. So, so far it never started for 2 nights, suddenly it worked the 3rd night. Strange.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Use Remote Desktop (Start, Run and enter MSTSC). Use Administrator and whatever password you set during setup.  Once connected, click Start, Run and enter EVENTVWR.MSC   Select the Windows Home Server branch and locate the latest failed backup(s).  Double click each one and note the details.  You can copy and paste the details into a Notepad file.  The you can copy the Notepad file to the Public Shared folder on the server (Desktop icon on the Desktop for access to Shared Folders).  Then you can access that from any PC on your LAN.  Post the details of the latest failure(s) here.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:16 PM
  •  Uni Audio wrote:

My server will NOT auto backup my computers. I can manually back them up. I can store data on the server, work the console...create users, everything except auto backup.

Server is a dell P4 2.8 with 512MB ram. Primary HD is a 320GB, second drive is a 120GB samsung.

First computer is a pentium core2duo, 2gb ram, 74gb Raptor. Second drive is a 250gb WD. The 250GB drive is excluded from the backup.

Second computer is a core2duo, 1gb ram, 74 gb raptor as the only drive.

Both machines run XP Pro, Both HD are less than 20GB full.

All three installs are almost brand new. PCs are less than a month old on new hard drives. Server install is less than 3 days old.

After I manually backed up my systems I right clicked the backup in WHS and changed from manual to automatic, I'll add some files to one of the systems and check later to see if the files were backed up.

• Oh, and don't forget to log off the server when you're done.
  • Well, problem solved! my switch had an intermittent power supply. Would shut down, lose all network connections. Cool down and would work again. Finally it failed while I was on the machine. Easy to solve after that. Thanks for all thehelp.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:00 AM