minimal installation RRS feed

• Question

• What is the minimum that you can getaway with for a small installation (21 users, spread out all over the world, voice, IM, video and conferencing)?

Do I really need 4 physical servers?

Can any be virtualized?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• You would need 3 servers - Standard Edition, Mediation Server (if by voice you mean Enterprise Voice), and Edge Server.  Virtualizing the Mediation server is not a good idea.  Though it's not supported, you could get away with virtualizing the other 2 servers based on your low user count.  Just be sure that you have enough hard drives supporting the virtual servers so as not to impede performance.

Your larger problem may be the latency between your users "all over the world" and your OCS installation.  If your round trip times are too long you will have people talking over one another during voice conversations.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

• You cannot virtualize OCS in any way (must be real time communications and even some milliseconds can harm voice conversations)

You need one server STD OCS that acts as a Front-End, IM, Audio & Video & Conferencing server

And another one that is the Mediation Server to convert RT-Audio to G7.11 to connect to a gateway (there are some gateway vendors that have Hybrid models with built-in Mediation Server)

Here is a list of gateway veondors supported for OCS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx#gateways1

But if you want High Availability then you need much more

Hardware Load Balancers, Backend SQL Server, multiple ENT Servers, two mediation servers and Gateways

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:42 PM
  • You only need 2 physical servers for OCS at minimum if supporting external users.  A single Standard Edition Front-End server on the internal network and a single consolidated Edge server in a perimeter network.

No roles are supported nor recommneded to be virtualized, and I would not do so for any deployment that will be using audio and video streaming features.

• You would need 3 servers - Standard Edition, Mediation Server (if by voice you mean Enterprise Voice), and Edge Server.  Virtualizing the Mediation server is not a good idea.  Though it's not supported, you could get away with virtualizing the other 2 servers based on your low user count.  Just be sure that you have enough hard drives supporting the virtual servers so as not to impede performance.

Your larger problem may be the latency between your users "all over the world" and your OCS installation.  If your round trip times are too long you will have people talking over one another during voice conversations.

• Mike mikes a good point that I didn't clarify; if by 'voice' you mean Enterprise Voice (as in VoIP integration) then you'd need that 3rd Mediation server.  If you are only talking about PC to PC calling over Communicator and audio in Live Meeting, then no Mediation server is required.  If Remote Call Control is desired, then no Mediation server is needed for that either.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:32 PM
  • In my first post I did not make assumptions that he would need access from the internet

If that is required obviously the is a requirement for an EDGE Server aswel

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:28 PM