Router Spontaneously Blocked RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using One Care on my desktop for a long without a problem. However, after simply having started a scan last night my two laptops cannot access the internet through my router (I am not making this up). The laptops do detect the router, but it comes up as "OneCare_0398" without the quotes and is asking for a password. I never applied such a setting to begin with and therefore there is no password to enter. It is as though One Care hijacked my router and messed with it.

How do I fix this problem and get my router to behave normally? How do I prevent this from happening again?
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• I've moved your post to the Secure WiFi topic folder. OneCare would not have enabled security on its own, though it would have offered to do so for you if your router was on the supported list.

You have 3 choices.

a. determine which machine was used to enable the WiFi security and review and obtain the key settings:

1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, open OneCare and click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.

b. Reset your router to factory defaults per the instructions from the router manufacturer - typically holding a button in on the rear of the router for a few seconds will reset it - and then configure security manually.

c. contact OneCare support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:06 PM