how to clean install WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I started a WHS (eval version) installation on a clean drive and got past the first reboot (once I figured out I needed to remove the DVD) and into the next phase of the install. The system crashed at that time. If I reboot off the HD I just get a black screen.

I figured I need to just do a new install. But it just seems to start the whole process over again. It asks for the key and only has the New install option in the drop down. This time instead of showing just a single empty drive it shows the 20G partition and the rest of the drive. When I get to entering a server name anything I enter errors out as already existing and I'm stuck at that point. It appears that I need to separately erase the 20G partition before WHS will install again. Am I missing something here?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 2:47 PM

Answers

•  kariya21 wrote:

If it's still "seeing" your old server name (from your first install), try unplugging your network cable during the install procedure.

Figured that one out on my own but thanks anyway. I've got it installed. Now to start playing around with it.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:32 AM

All replies

• It sounds as though your initial install wasn't completed. You should not remove the DVD even though the server will reboot, the DVD must stay in until you get through to the welcome screen. Don't forget also, that any drivers you might need will require installing twice, once for the GUI portion and then again during the text portion.

If I were you, I think I would erase any partitions on the disk and format it prior to trying a new install.

Colin

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:06 PM
  • The install definitely didn't complete. When I left the DVD in it just reran the install from the beginning which then failed. My normal practice is to have the DVD drive first in the boot order. Maybe I should put the hard drive first?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 5:18 PM
  • No, your system should be set to boot from the DVD, not your disk. Does the DVD 'see' your hard drives, if it does, it will tell you that all data will be lost when it formats your disk, if you don't see that, it means you need to install drivers; again, you will need to install them twice.

The DVD should be left in until you see the welcome screen, if your not seeing that, then there is a hardware/software problem that we need to sort out. Can you list your hardware, that way, it may point to what needs checking.

Colin

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Yes the install initially saw the one enformatted drive connected to the IDE port. After the initial reboot the install appeared to start over again. This time it showed the 20G system partition as well as the rest of the unformatted space. Aside from showing the system partition everything was the same as the first time through- enter key, select new install, enter server name. It was on the server name that it got stuck.

I'm going to wipe the disk and try again tonight. Stay tuned
    Friday, April 11, 2008 10:37 PM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Yes the install initially saw the one enformatted drive connected to the IDE port. After the initial reboot the install appeared to start over again. This time it showed the 20G system partition as well as the rest of the unformatted space. Aside from showing the system partition everything was the same as the first time through- enter key, select new install, enter server name. It was on the server name that it got stuck.

I'm going to wipe the disk and try again tonight. Stay tuned

If it's still "seeing" your old server name (from your first install), try unplugging your network cable during the install procedure.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:29 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Figured that one out on my own but thanks anyway. I've got it installed. Now to start playing around with it.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:32 AM