SyncToy 2.0 and Synology RRS feed

• Question

• (1) Can anyone confirm that SyncToy 2.0 will work and not cause loss of files or data corruption with Synology network attached storage (NAS) systems?

(2) Can Microsoft confirm that echo backup will not damage original (left folder) data when backing up to NAS systems (right folder)? (Obviously, damaging the original data is more of a problem than having an inadequate backup. I would like to try SyncToy 2.0 but I do not want to risk damaging my original data.)

(3) Assume a backup to NAS (future right folder) is made using the copy command (drag and drop) in Window XP and then a few files are added or changed to the original documents (this will be left folder). SyncToy 2.0 is then installed on the system to be designated as left folder. Is it OK to use SyncToy 2.0 to update the backup (echo to right folder). Or is the correct protocol to allow SynToy 2.0 to create the entire backup, i.e., user should first erase the existing data on the NAS device (future right folder)?

(4) Will Microsoft please provide access to SyncToy 1.4 for those users who need to back-up to NAS? SyncToy 1.4 worked adequately.

Thank you. 
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 8:19 PM

Answers

• I've used synctoy 1.4 with my snology box and it worked great.  v 2.0 gets hung up and won't complete what I'm asking it to do, so I can't comment.  I'd try to get v 1.4 if you can find it.

Sean

Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• I've used synctoy 1.4 with my snology box and it worked great.  v 2.0 gets hung up and won't complete what I'm asking it to do, so I can't comment.  I'd try to get v 1.4 if you can find it.

Sean

Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Thank you, Sean. This is very helpful.

I am puzzled why Microsoft refuses to supply v. 1.4. Microsoft acknowledges that v. 2.0 is buggy and v. 1.4 works adequately.

Please Microsoft! Do the right thing and make v. 1.4 available until a new version that works with NAS is available.

Friday, June 5, 2009 2:29 AM