Automatic backup of Shared Folders on internal HD RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a question on backing up the shared folders.

I already syncronize the folders once a month on an external HD, but since there is not trash bin on WHS, I would like to have an automatic backup daily. I just bought a new HD (in 2-3 days it will be at my place) and I know I don't have to add it to the pool.

With the tools of WHS can I do an automatic incremental backup every day? Otherwise I will go for Cobian Backup since I know it quite well, using it regularly on my laptop

Thanks

Maurizio

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't include the ability to automatically back up your shares. It happens when you back your server up yourself, not otherwise.

As for other backup tools, I'm not familiar with Cobian Backup, but some (many) backup tools have trouble backing up from Windows Home Server shares, due to the way drive Exte3nder works. Often they will only back up the tombstones, leaving the actual data behind.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by webmind Monday, May 10, 2010 11:15 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:37 PM
  • You could invoke a scheduled macro tool script, which simulates the necessary mouse clicks on the console on a running system (or eventually also the WHS directly).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:55 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't include the ability to automatically back up your shares. It happens when you back your server up yourself, not otherwise.

As for other backup tools, I'm not familiar with Cobian Backup, but some (many) backup tools have trouble backing up from Windows Home Server shares, due to the way drive Exte3nder works. Often they will only back up the tombstones, leaving the actual data behind.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:37 PM
  • You could invoke a scheduled macro tool script, which simulates the necessary mouse clicks on the console on a running system (or eventually also the WHS directly).

Olaf

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:55 PM
  • It seems too complex for me :)

Let's wait the HD so I can check the manual procedure to perform a backup

MAO

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:20 PM
  • If this works for you, more than one disk is recommended (would be ugly otherwise, if WHS and the just attached disk experience the total outage due to overvoltage or similar).

Olaf

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:39 PM
  • If this works for you, more than one disk is recommended (would be ugly otherwise, if WHS and the just attached disk experience the total outage due to overvoltage or similar).

Olaf

For that I have an external HD that I use once a month and an online server that I update with the new photos and when I buy a new CD.

The internal HD was just intented as trash bin for accidental deletion of files... just to be able to go back 2-3 days

Bye MAO

Friday, May 7, 2010 2:16 PM
  • I just received the HD.

The manual procedure is very quick, just 2-3 clicks.

After a long warm up I will try the automated macro to automate it

Thanks Maurizio

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:14 AM