Windows 8.1 Can not connect to the Server RRS feed

• Question

• 192.168.1.10/connect

X Cannot connect to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again.

W8.1, HP ENVY Ultrabook 4

W7 machine (already connected) had no problems backing up. Restarted both laptop and server. No updates pending either in Windows update or HP Assistant.

New to W8. Three W7 and one XP backup no problem.

Could HP Assistant be at fault?

Any Ideas?

Dave

Dave Remont

Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:20 AM

Answers

• 192.168.1.10/connect

X Cannot connect to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again.

W7 machine (already connected) had no problems backing up. Restarted both laptop and server. No updates pending either in Windows update or HP Assistant.

Any Ideas?

Dave

Dave Remont

Stumbled onto this from another forum. Not my work. It is a direct copy paste.

This is a good solution to the problem!

Update/Solution: For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key.  Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag.  This is what setup is detecting.

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

Dave Remont

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, December 9, 2013 9:38 AM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 5:05 AM

All replies

• 192.168.1.10/connect

Any Ideas?

Dave

Dave Remont

Stumbled onto this from another forum. Not my work. It is a direct copy paste.

This is a good solution to the problem!

Update/Solution: For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key.  Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag.  This is what setup is detecting.

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

Dave Remont

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, December 9, 2013 9:38 AM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Thanks for your feedback and sharing. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Justin Gu
    • Edited by Justin Gu Monday, December 9, 2013 9:38 AM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Ok Justin, W8.1 machine is connected, Disk has the space around moved to allow 50mgb. Backup fails for "undetermined" cause.

Yes, I installed hotfix, but I can not delete the small GPT partition on W8.1 machine.
    Yes it is a EUFI, but turned that off in BIOS. (It will boot Fat32 or NTFS now.)

HP Envy Ultrabook 4. It was a poor choice. People often use bad machines as door stops. In Louisiana we use them for crab traps. Lots of "ins" and no "outs". Ultrabook not big enough for either.

Since purchased 3 W7 machines (2 new, 1 old machine loaded clean.)

My conclusion is that Microsoft has won and I have lost.

Dave

Dave Remont

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:49 PM
  • I believe the "Pending reboot" issue may have been one of mine from the dim and distant early days of WHS2011 and Connector installation problems - normally caused by a poor Logitech webcam installation if memory serves me correctly. It's now formally recorded by Microsoft somewhere.

I am not sure what you mean by "Disk has the space around moved to allow 50mgb"!

As far as your current issue is concerned, I would be inclined to "clean" the disk (removing all GPT/UEFI issues) and reinstall W8. How you reinstall it then is your choice but if you have a UEFI capable machine I would be inclined to use it as Boot times are much better.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Please be patient with me.

1. I purchased HP Ultrabook Eny 4 for adult daughter.
    2. Came with W8. (Installed W7, had a hardware failure, HP re-loaded W8)
    3. Next, I downloaded W8.1 upgrade from Microsoft. It shoved itself into the space of W8 and added a few quirks.
    4. Could not install client WHS2011. I was able to rename PendingUpdates to Pending Updates2. Client Installed.
    5. End of SAGA 1

I know not how many partitions W8 comes with on an HP, but after the upgrade I had 5 or 6. Other than C:\, RECOVERY, and the BOOT partition, there were at least two "un-named" partitions that are probably GPT.

From many forums, I have the conception NO BACKUP under the sun works with W8. Seems each partition backed up needs at least 50mg free for a "image" AND you may not backup a GPT partition (ever). (Forgive me if I have misspoken.) You can specify WHS 2011 not to backup Recovery, but the "un-named" partitions do not appear de-selectable.

Backup goes to 1%, then fails for "unknown reason".

1. An IT Professional from church (MS Certified) got the partitions down to 3, BOOT, C:/, and "un-named". This is the "moving around space"
    2. I installed the WHS2011 hotfix on the server.

Problem is further complicated by the fact HP did not see fit to install optical drive. I did order and receive a MS W8 USB (with hp drivers). This route seems to go in the direction of "I am going to have 5 partitions after a downloaded upgrade".

Purchased a W8.1 Full install (in a box Disc). Created an ISO with a utility. Created bootable USB with the w7disktoUSB utility. Again from forums, I understand (in their infinite wisdom), that

1. DISK to USB utility only formats and creates a NTFS device.
    2. UEFI only recognizes FAT32.
    3. There is a "work-around".

I have created both a FAT32 and NTFS version of my uninstalled W8.1. HP's BIOS allows one to "turn off" UEFI. Both USB versions will boot up to the install screen.

Several app's are already installed. (MS OFFICE2010 etc.)

The W8.1 computer is now "expendable" if necessary. I really like my WHS2011. I do eventually have catastrophic drive failures. I do keep computers a long time. I do let grandchildren as young as 5 use them. If I have a failure, I can (and have) reconstituted a computer in a VERY short time. I have also rolled back destroyed term papers, quicken backups, and the like.

Here I sit unable to back up (create an image) W8.1 (with apps and data).

I would love to converse with someone who actually has both a W8.1 machine and a WHS2011 server. Of course and it backs up!

Thank you for your time and patience. It is OK to tell me it is not going to work. If it can work, direct me to a proven method.

Dave

Dave Remont

Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:09 PM
  • I would love to converse with someone who actually has both a W8.1 machine and a WHS2011 server. Of course and it backs up!

Thank you for your time and patience. It is OK to tell me it is not going to work. If it can work, direct me to a proven method.

Dave

Dave Remont

Dave

I fall into that category. I have W8.1 installed on a single machine, the rest of my machines being W7 (both BIOS and UEFI boots) and two WHS2011 Servers!

The W8.1 installation is a BIOS boot as the motherboard is too old to support UEFI. It was originally installed on a new SSD from a W8 DVD and has subsequently been upgraded online to W8.1. The disk configuration is a 350MB System Reserved and the C: Boot drive. Both Servers have had the Microsoft UEFI Hotfix applied (needed as my latest W7 Laptop has UEFI Boot). I have not had to worry about System Manufacturers partitions etc as all installations have been done by myself on new or "cleaned" disks.

The W7 UEFI laptop has a 100MB EFI Partition and the rest is C:. Both this and the W8.1 machine back up without problem (the W7 machine only backs up C: but I have done bare metal restores without problem). The W8.1 machine backs up both partitions.

Not sure how or if that all helps other than to say it is certainly possible to backup and restore without error.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Should I start a new question, sir?

Was the W8.1 install a new install or did you go through the W8 to W8.1 update? If it would work, I am willing to dump everything on the HP Ultrabook Envy 4 and go forward with a purchased W8.1 . Also have a MS W8.0 original USB from HP.

Should I avoid new machines that are loaded W8 only? W8.1 or pro?

Did you run the "Hotfix" on the server?

I REALLY DO want to learn. I have someone to help who knows his way around computers and networks.

Thank you,
    Dave

Dave Remont

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:59 PM
  • As I said above, it was a W8 new install subsequently updated online to W8.1. There should be no problem with machines pre-loaded with W8 / 8.1 in whichever version. Yes, the Hotfix is run on the Server so that it understands the GPT/UEFI scenario.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Hi Dave.  Yes, the Hotfix is for the server.  Once installed, it also automatically updates the client connector software on your attached PCs (make sure to allow this to occur and reboot your clients before attempting a backup).

For what it's worth, we've got about six Windows 8.1 machines here working great with WHS 2011. Ours include a mix of machines that were updated through the Windows Store (most using older BIOS motherboards, but we do have a UEFI-enabled Surface Pro), as well as a pair of custom built rigs that I did fresh installs of Windows 8.1 from installation media. 

Since the last WHS hotfix to support UEFI, we've not had any problems connecting any of our Windows 8.0, or (now) Windows 8.1 devices to WHS. 

We do run a very "clean" environment here, with almost everything clean installed from Windows retail media, or (in the case of Surface), having Microsoft's "Signature" Windows installation.  We avoid most 3rd party "system" software, and use Windows Defender (Security Essentials on Win7) for anti-virus. 

Good luck.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Some of the computers I wish to back up were NOT online at the time of the hotfix. I try to occasionally back up my daughter and her children's computer. Makes life so easy when they destroy a hard drive!

Should I re-run hotfix when I collect the missing computers or just reinstall the client connector software on the ones that were off line?

Since your 8.1 is working, I may go back to the Media supplied for 8.0 and work my way up. At least I will keep trying!

Stupid question? How do I mark your answers as helpful. I am new at forums.

Dave

Dave Remont

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:43 PM
  • If the Hotfix installed correctly, there should be no need to do anything else - the client machines should update their connector software (provided it was installed previously) the next time they are connected to your network. Failing that direct their web browser to <server name>/connect.

To vote, just press the Up arrow (triangular icon) on the left hand side of the comment you want to mark as being helpful (I have just done so on Gary's comment above).

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Ok Phil,
    Made a little progress. I can backup the recovery partition (which is empty) just fine by itself.
    If I either attempt a  backup on just C:\ or recovery and C:\, it goes 1% then fails.

With some consternation, I finally found where they hid Disk Management.

First Volume(blank name), Simple, Basic, (Blank File System), Healthy (Recovery Partition), 400 mb, 400 mb free, 100% Free
    Second Volume(blank name), Simple, Basic, (Blank File System), Healthy (EFI System Partition), 260 mb, 260 mb free, 100% Free
    Third Volume (C:), Simple, Basic, (NTFS File System), Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), 437.17 GB, 327.49 GB, 75% Free

Disk 0 465.64 GB Online, there is 27.82 GB unnamed "space" behind C: which is Unallocated.

Suggestions, sir? I do call this "some" progress, even though it was only 400 mb of blank space. First time ANYTHING backed up on W8.

Dave Remont

Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:48 AM