WHS connector issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue connecting to the WHS Console from any of my cilent computers. I have recently installed the WHS & all 3 of my clients (2 Vista ultimate PC & a Home Premium laptop). After the initial install, I can install the WHS Console & it seems to work fine. I then do all the updates for the WHS & the 3 client Pcs. It seems to work for a little bit & then I start getting an error: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes". This happens on all 3 clients (both locally & remotely connected). The Console still shows the 3 clients as attached, but none of them can access the console. I can ping the WHS via name or IP, I can telnet to the WHS on port 21, I can make an RDP connection to the WHS, My client PCs see the WHS in the network neighborhood & can access all the shared folders & printers without issue. The only place that seems to be affected is the WHS Console Tray Application on the client PCs. I have tried to disable the firewalls on both the clients & the WHS, that doesn't seem to resolve this trouble. I have tried to install the client from both the CD & the server's shared software folder, & both return the same previouly mentioned error. Also affter searching through the WHS log system, I have located the following entry: "Faulting application homeserverconsole.exe, version 6.0.1800.0, stamp 48791358, faulting module homeserver.dll, version 6.0.1800.0, stamp 487913f4, debug? 0, fault address 0x000098f8". I have searched as to inquire about this error & found the instructions for the Client Computer Clean install. I have tried thos steps & when I try to do the install, it fails to locate my WHS. I then try to make it search for the WHS by name & get the following: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact Product Support. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any ideas or suggestions?

client CAB: 527275102; server CAB: 527275857

~John
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:32 PM

All replies

• jfmanamtr said:

I am having an issue connecting to the WHS Console from any of my cilent computers. I have recently installed the WHS & all 3 of my clients (2 Vista ultimate PC & a Home Premium laptop). After the initial install, I can install the WHS Console & it seems to work fine. I then do all the updates for the WHS & the 3 client Pcs. It seems to work for a little bit & then I start getting an error: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes". This happens on all 3 clients (both locally & remotely connected). The Console still shows the 3 clients as attached, but none of them can access the console. I can ping the WHS via name or IP, I can telnet to the WHS on port 21, I can make an RDP connection to the WHS, My client PCs see the WHS in the network neighborhood & can access all the shared folders & printers without issue. The only place that seems to be affected is the WHS Console Tray Application on the client PCs. I have tried to disable the firewalls on both the clients & the WHS, that doesn't seem to resolve this trouble. I have tried to install the client from both the CD & the server's shared software folder, & both return the same previouly mentioned error. Also affter searching through the WHS log system, I have located the following entry: "Faulting application homeserverconsole.exe, version 6.0.1800.0, stamp 48791358, faulting module homeserver.dll, version 6.0.1800.0, stamp 487913f4, debug? 0, fault address 0x000098f8". I have searched as to inquire about this error & found the instructions for the Client Computer Clean install. I have tried thos steps & when I try to do the install, it fails to locate my WHS. I then try to make it search for the WHS by name & get the following: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact Product Support. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any ideas or suggestions?

client CAB: 527275102; server CAB: 527275857

~John

You said you installed the Connector software on the PC, then updated the server afterwards?  If so, you probably need to install the updated version of the Connector software.  You might try uninstalling the current version of the Connector software, then browse to \\server\software\Home Server Connector Software and install the new version.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Please try to login via Remote Desktop client or locally to your server and try to run the console from here. Does it work there or are there any error messages?
    Check also the event log of the server for error messages and warnings around the tried installation and the Windows Firewall settings on the server. If you see related events in the event log please post them here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:37 AM