What about considerations on WAN RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I'm on a project about deployement OCS 2K7 with multi-sites environnement and 1 Datacenter centralise for OCS Servers.

I'm trying to evaluate the impact of OCS on WAN / Mpls. Do you have some feedback or Ms docs to help me about this ?

Ex: 1 have 20 sites attached with MPS/WAN, each site have 2 MB Link. Each site have nearly 30 - 60 Users. What it's the best way to estimate the upgrade for my link ? I'm so confuse on this.

For a second point, do yoiu have test some deployement with Vendors: Packeteer, StreamCore, or other to optimise the traffic for OCS on WAN ?

Thanks for your repy.

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

• You will find valuable information in the Quality of Experience document

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=05625AF1-3444-4E67-9557-3FD5AF9AE8D1&displaylang=en

Bandwidth for the Audio and Video is in the document

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Thanks Deli for your reply.

But in fact, i know this doc ... I think This Ms Doc is for the market but really for using in real consideration approach.

I'm searching a tool for planning and really appreciate the real needed for a poc and finally on the road.

In other way, i remenber that we have for the past a lot of tools or method to determine this for Exchange (ex: capacity planning tools), and other Servers for Microsoft, but what's on OCS ?

Recently i found un excel spreesheet on RK Book but i don't know if it's really or not supported for wan design by MS Sad

Do you have some tests or any feedback with trafficshapping Vendors for OCS ?

Tx for your reply and Congrat for your website

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:57 PM
  • There is a planning tool available look here:

http://www.pro-exchange.be/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=823

I don't have any info on trafficshaping for OCS

But you can enable compression on OCS and the codec is elastic so it adapts to the network conditions

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Ok Deli, this tool is really fun to rapidly have a Visio Design but again not really to design Properly Wan BandWith.

For MS Codec, it's true that RTAudio et RTVideo are 'Adaptative' but i think in real situation in a compagny, it's not acceptable All the tenors in the past with no adaptative clients and protocosl recommend to have Qos, specially Tandberg and Polycom. We are mesuring the real atitude of Ms Protocols, and for 1 Example when we're using File Transfer in a P2P Session or in a Livemeeting Session, all the bandwith is needed !

I'm in Europe and We don't have the Same Link that in US Wink

What's your opinion about this ? Nobody else with feedback of a large deployement of OCS ?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Hi All,

Nobody has any feedback or consideration about this design purpose ?

ThanKS

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:51 PM
  • There is no tool available if you want same Wan design considerations like Exchange Capacity Planner

Maybe in the near future?

You should really take the QoE document and size with those bandwidth considerations

At this time this would be a manual process

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Any WAN bandwidth planning for an OCS enterprise voice deployment are going to be based on best guesses since their accuracy depends on user adoption rate and usage frequency patterns.  QoS is a great idea over the WAN for any VoIP scenario but as you mentioned, file transfer and app sharing in LM are additional considerations.  The use of an OCS QoE monitoring server along with a staged deployment is the best way I have found to answer these questions for a specific environment until there is a critical mass of OCS deployments out there and documented in detail.  I have worked with several large deployments of OCS but none yet over highly congested WAN links.

As for the codec, the adaptive RTAudio codec is miles ahead of G.711 - I think you'll find the hollow sound of the downgraded adaptive sample rate is preferable to jitter or dropped calls especially in an enterprise deployment.

In preparation for WAN scenarios like this, I have started to explore the use of packet shapers over the WAN for OCS traffic as an alternative to traditional QoS since OCS uses SIP and RTP over TCP and changes to window size actually do something there versus traditional VoIP and UDP.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:04 PM