Permissions to shared folders in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have some questions regarding shared folders in Windows Home Server.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 which is connected to my company's domain. At home I have a server running WHS in my home network (Workgroup).

When using my laptop at home I connect it to the home network (the laptop still being joined to the work domain). I browse the shared folders on home server by simply running \\SERVERNAME\SHARED_FOLDER using the run command. No credentials are being used, nor asked for.

Which account is being used when accessing the shared folder this way? The local Guest account?

Sometimes, I seem to lose my write/create permissions when accessing the folders this way. To me, it seems to happen either when the server has been restarted (due to an update) or when my laptop leaves the home network and later rejoin it. Normally, I solve this by using rdp to the server and give the guest account full access (which obviously resets at some point) to the shared folder.

Why does it reset? How do I prevent it?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:02 PM

All replies

• Have you installed the homeserver connector software?  The installer can be found here: \\SERVERNAME\Software\Home Server Connector Software

It also sounds like you need to set up your own user account on the server.  RDP to the server, then create a new account.  That account should match the login credentials of your laptop. (i.e. Login name and password should match)

I should add that the connector software is not necessary to access the folders, but is good to install nonetheless.  The login credentials are necessary.  You can then set permissions for whatever folds are on your server.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Thanks for replying

However, I won't be able to set up an account that match the one on my laptop since it belongs to a domain and I'm logging on the laptop with an domain account. The server is part of the home workgroup. 

I have a local account on the server, but I'm never asked for any credentials when browsing to the shared folder - how do I make the server ask for credentials? And what account is being used when no crendentials are being asked for?

I have the software you mentioned installed but thats not what I want to use - I want to browse the shared folders directly (which works partly as explained above)

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:34 PM