Really lost with Live Mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few dumb questions:

1. How can I copy links/shortcuts to Live Mesh desktop?  I would like to place all my shortcuts to web sites on the Live Mesh desktop.

For example I would like to store my IE favorites on Live Mesh desktop.

If I upload a link, Live Mesh copies up as a foo.url file and if I click on this it does not work like a normal link.

I mean, this is the whole point of my desktop, I have tons of links on the desktop, not tons of files and folders.

2. I can only create folders and add items inside folders?  I can't dump files right on the desktop?  Why not?  It's just the root folder.

3. Where is the desktop context menu.  The UI is very hard to discover.

4. Can I adjust the desktop background?  What if I don't like the background color, etc...
    Matt Neerincx [MSFT]
    Friday, May 30, 2008 6:58 PM

Answers

•  If you've ever used a "Briefcase", "Offline Folders", or plugged an MP3 player or USB thumbdrive into a machine while Windows Media Player is running; you've seen software that does file replication. At it's heart, and at the moment, Mesh is yet another technology that accomplishes these same things. What Mesh adds that these others don't (for starters) is internet storage. Live Desktop is the web page that allows you access to what's up on the internet. Mesh doesn't aspire to only be a file syncronization technology, but for right now, that's all "the goodness, the beauty" (to steal from Ori Amiga) that we're being shown in the Community Tech Preview. Live Desktop is still just a web page, it's not a complete operating system (a complete copy of Windows) up on the internet.

What you can do is something like open Windows Explorer on your computer, go to C:\Users\MattNerrincx (On Vista, guessing at your actual username, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ on XP) and right click on the Favorite's folder and add that to Live Mesh. On another computer, say a laptop or home computer, after mesh is installed, you can right click on that Favorites folder and subscribe to the folder in the mesh. This will keep the shortcuts in sync on the two machines. There's also a "Favorites" folder on your Live Desktop, just in case you go to visit your parents for the weekend, and wanted to show Dad that page you stumbled across and favorited a couple of days ago.

At present, Live Desktop is a way to get at the data that you care enough about to keep synced up on multiple machines, but don't have access to those machines. You can get to their desktops just like you're sitting at the keyboard with the Remote Desktop abilities that are built in to Live Desktop. Need to get to a copy of Visio or Photoshop while at Dad's? You are able to connect to your machine at home that has it installed.

In answer to #2, Even in a full copy of windows, your Desktop folder is C:\Users\<Username>\Desktop (On vista), the shell, explorer.exe displays the contents of that folder as your desktop. It's not a root folder at all.

For #3, I agree that right clicking on the desktop and having a "New Folder" option is more familiar than having the "Create New Folder" icon that's currently on the desktop. Live Desktop doesn't exactly mimic the shell Desktop metaphor.

4. Not yet. But I really hope to see this soon.

I hope this helps!

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:36 PM

All replies

•  If you've ever used a "Briefcase", "Offline Folders", or plugged an MP3 player or USB thumbdrive into a machine while Windows Media Player is running; you've seen software that does file replication. At it's heart, and at the moment, Mesh is yet another technology that accomplishes these same things. What Mesh adds that these others don't (for starters) is internet storage. Live Desktop is the web page that allows you access to what's up on the internet. Mesh doesn't aspire to only be a file syncronization technology, but for right now, that's all "the goodness, the beauty" (to steal from Ori Amiga) that we're being shown in the Community Tech Preview. Live Desktop is still just a web page, it's not a complete operating system (a complete copy of Windows) up on the internet.

What you can do is something like open Windows Explorer on your computer, go to C:\Users\MattNerrincx (On Vista, guessing at your actual username, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ on XP) and right click on the Favorite's folder and add that to Live Mesh. On another computer, say a laptop or home computer, after mesh is installed, you can right click on that Favorites folder and subscribe to the folder in the mesh. This will keep the shortcuts in sync on the two machines. There's also a "Favorites" folder on your Live Desktop, just in case you go to visit your parents for the weekend, and wanted to show Dad that page you stumbled across and favorited a couple of days ago.

At present, Live Desktop is a way to get at the data that you care enough about to keep synced up on multiple machines, but don't have access to those machines. You can get to their desktops just like you're sitting at the keyboard with the Remote Desktop abilities that are built in to Live Desktop. Need to get to a copy of Visio or Photoshop while at Dad's? You are able to connect to your machine at home that has it installed.

In answer to #2, Even in a full copy of windows, your Desktop folder is C:\Users\<Username>\Desktop (On vista), the shell, explorer.exe displays the contents of that folder as your desktop. It's not a root folder at all.

For #3, I agree that right clicking on the desktop and having a "New Folder" option is more familiar than having the "Create New Folder" icon that's currently on the desktop. Live Desktop doesn't exactly mimic the shell Desktop metaphor.

4. Not yet. But I really hope to see this soon.

I hope this helps!

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Live Mesh is in the Tech Preview stage, so there is definitely a lot of functionality still to come.  Please feel free to add your suggestions for things you'd like to see in Live Mesh to our Wish List sticky thread!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 9:42 PM
  • I guess I am looking for a solution to something and I don't really care about the technology used to do it.

I have 5 computers and on each of these computers I use IE.  I want to have a common set of Links across all these machines that works seamlessly all the time.

All the machines have access to internet and Live Mesh will allow me to store stuff on the Internet, so it sounds like a perfect match.

Perhaps I can replace Links folder in Vista with a hard link to a Live Mesh folder perhaps?

I did this locally with a few machines, replaced Links with hard link to a common network folder.

If the Live Mesh would give me a desktop where I could drop links then I would set Live Mesh as my default web page and call it a day.

As it stands it's not that great a technology to me because I don't have a bunch of devices, I have a bunch of computers.

Matt Neerincx [MSFT]
    Monday, June 2, 2008 5:24 AM
  • If all you want is to share Favorites in IE, use Windows Live Favorites, formerly Roaming Favorites.
    http://favorites.live.com/

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 2, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Nice, this is very close to what I want. 

Dear Live Mesh folks, please consider allowing me to upload links to the desktop, this would be a nice feature. 

Also, you could just have a toolbar on the desktop with links this would be cool too.

Also, consider allowing me to create a hard link to Live Mesh folder, this would be even more awesome as I can then completely and seamlessly integrate Live Mesh folders with my Windows applications.

I want Live Mesh to be a transparent extension to local HD.

Matt Neerincx [MSFT]
    Monday, June 2, 2008 6:25 PM