How do I disable backup for a computer but still share media? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am currently running the 120d trial version of WHS with powerpack 2. I am really most interested in the media server aspect of the server (mainly to a HTPC running W7MC) and have two questions:

1) It seems that after I install Home Server Connector that the Console will not allow me to deselect all of the drives for backup for any given computer. If I try to remove the computer it asks that I turn off the Home Server Connector on it first (which would turn off the ability to stream media as well, no?) Is there a way to have a client participate in streaming but not have anything backed up?

As an aside, before anyone asks, I have an elaborate backup scheme using Acronis that I have spent much time with and am very happy with and am absolutely unwilling to abandon.

2) Is there any difference in the server streaming technology that WHS uses versus what is in WMP 11 networking? Am I gaining anything by running WHS instead besides the backup?

Thanks for the help
    Ken
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I answered my own first question - right click the computer on the console. I feel like an idiot.
    If anyone has the answer to number two, I'd still appreciate it.
    • Marked as answer by KenV2 Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:17 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi,
    I am not so deep in the technological parts of media streaming, but one benefit of using WHS for media sharing would be, that you do not need to keep two computers permanently running. If the server is already almost always on this saves at least some energy costs and you have one central place for media files, on which you can backup the data to external drives.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I answered my own first question - right click the computer on the console. I feel like an idiot.
    If anyone has the answer to number two, I'd still appreciate it.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi,
    I am not so deep in the technological parts of media streaming, but one benefit of using WHS for media sharing would be, that you do not need to keep two computers permanently running. If the server is already almost always on this saves at least some energy costs and you have one central place for media files, on which you can backup the data to external drives.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:47 PM
  • WHS uses the older Windows Media Connect v2. WMP 11 integrates Media Connect into the player and enhances it. I would say install WMP 11 if you're having problems with media sharing, but its not a supported scenario.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:05 PM