Do I need to do a full re-install. RRS feed

• Question

• Before purchasing a copy of XP Pro I wanted to be sure my 5yr old HP Pavilion was capable of handling it.  I installed a non genuine copy of Pro.  It Works!! So I have purchased a genuine version from Compusa. Question I have is, do I now need to revert back to ME and then do the update or can I somehow run the genuine install and pass validation???  Any help appreciated.

Thx, Laurin0717

Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:43 PM

Answers

•  

Phil  - Thanks for that info... I was unclear if the update tool was available for purchased keys or only new keys provided by MS... Thanks for your fast responses.. Later, Laurin

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:37 PM
  • Laurin0717:

I'm very glad the product key update tool work to fix your problem!

-Greg

Friday, June 23, 2006 2:54 PM

All replies

• The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:09 PM
  • Laurin,

If you installed a nongenuine XP Pro and have now purchased a genuine XP Home, then you will have to do a clean installation of XP Home.

If the nongenuine installation of XP is the same edition as the purchased genuine XP (ie, both are Pro or both are Home), then Carey's suggestion of using the keychanger utility may work.

Note that the keychanger may analyze your nongenuine installation and if too many files have been cracked and hacked, it will report that it cannot continue and you will have to do a clean installation.

IMO your best course of action is a clean installation with repartitioning and reformat.  That way you are assured that the rootkits, viruses and other malware that may have been included with the nongenuine installation won't carry over to your genuine installation.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:02 PM
  •  

So you believe I would be ok in downloading/using the Product Key update Tool?  I was unclear about that in reading MS docu, it mentions using it for replaceing a bad key with a new one provided by them, but I could not be sure it would apply to a purchased version!!  Thanks for your kind response... Later, Laurin.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:56 PM
  •  

Dan - Yes the version I installed was Pro and the purchased version is Pro.. One difference is the purchased version also includes the Service Pack 2.  I really trust the 1st install as far as not containing virus etc.. it was loaned by a friend strictly for testing..  I really would rather not do the reformat and full install as I have alot of 'stuff' on my drive.. Also I purchased the Upgrade version not the Full install version. Thanks so much for your response and any further advise is really equally appreciated... Later, Laurin.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:03 PM
  • Laurin:

You can use the link Carey provided to you to change over to your genuine copy of XP Professional.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:08 PM
  •  

Phil  - Thanks for that info... I was unclear if the update tool was available for purchased keys or only new keys provided by MS... Thanks for your fast responses.. Later, Laurin

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:37 PM
  •  

Carey and Phil.... I took your suggestions/advice.  Downloaded and used the Key Update Tool, the whole process only took a very few minutes.  After finishing the key update I downloaded alot of updates then SP2 followed by more updates.  I believe I am Up-to-date... Thanks again to all for all of your fast replys. Problem solved... Laurin

Friday, June 23, 2006 8:43 AM
  • Laurin0717:

I'm very glad the product key update tool work to fix your problem!

-Greg

Friday, June 23, 2006 2:54 PM