Windows Search RRS feed

• Question

• My question is actually a little embarrasing as I work in 3rd level support.

I've always used the default windows search without problem (turning off the useless talking dog and setting options to advanced).

Recently however I've installed Windows Search 4 and there's no tutorial on how to use it and I can't find anything with it.

Two examples, I have a folder called 'zips'.  I know where it is but want to try finding it using search.
    Originally I tried leaving everything except File Name (zips) and Folder (C:\) blank.  That returned a result of "" query not found

I then entered text in the box Desktop (zips) and cleared File Name.
    This showed me basically the contents of my HD.

Another search I was trying to do is for a folder on a network drive

In the Desktop box I entered the folder name'test' and under the Folder I put the UNC path '\\server\share'
    The response is that Windows Service is not available on remote computer.  True enough, windows search is not installed on that server.

To sum up:
    1) How do I do a search for a simple folder name, or even a file, and not everything in all my emails and attachments etc etc.
    2) Can I not use windows search as I had with the previous version to search network shares without windows search already being installed on those servers?

I just want a simple search for files and folders, not a search of every document everywhere.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for the post.

Please refer the troubleshooting guide for windows search 4 located at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771814(WS.10).aspx#CommunityContent .

Hope that helps.

Thanks & regards,
    Ashawani Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by ashawani_dubey Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ashawani_dubey Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:57 PM
  • I looked through the above link and I must be missing something.

I am a .net developer and know that in the past I wrote some code with datatables I want to re-ues.

all i want to do is search all *.cs (and ONLY *.cs) files that contain the word "datatable".   I have been hunting around MSDN, MS forums and other general internet pages and nobody seems to have an answer.  there are many links that point to some article somewhere on microsoft's web sites(including the above), but they don't answer the question.

it seems like it should be a simple question with a simple answer, why does is it such a big deal?

Thanks,
    Daryl

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:59 PM