none
Key not working after Windows 7 reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Earlier today I decided to reinstall my windows 7 Pro 64bit as it was full of things I didn't need anymore. So I made the backups, copied my Product Key and downloaded an ISO of the same OS (7 Pro 64 bit). All went well until I had to re-enter my product key. The format of the key I had written down was XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX (20 chars altogether) but the key it asked me for was 25 chars of the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. It was at this moment I realised I was in deep... trouble.

The key I had written down was the one from (Right click on Computer -> Properties) and it said PRODUCT-KEY next to it. It certainly looked like what I needed.

How can I get my real key back guys?

Thank you

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:30 PM

Answers

• Hi jangozo,

Unfortunately, Microsoft is specifically not allowed (due to Privacy) to link Customer information to Product Keys.  Meaning support would have no way of knowing which Product Key belongs to you.

If the key that university gave you was hand written on a slip of paper, it is likely that the key was a Volume License Key (keys that can be used by more then one person) and the university should be able to give you the key again. 

Darin MS
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi jangozo,

The number you found in the "Right click on Computer -> Properties" window is the Product ID not the Product Key.

How to find the Product Key will depend on how you obtained the Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

1) If the Windows  7 Pro 64bit came pre-installed in the PC when you bought it, then the Product Key can be found on a sticker (known as the Certificate of Authenticity or CoA) located on the side, bottom or (for some laptops) in the battery compartment of the PC.

2) If you bought the Windows 7 Pro 64bit separately and you bought the Windows in Physical form (came in some form of packaging such as a plastic box) then the Product key will be on a card that was included in the packaging.

3) If you bought the Windows 7 Pro 64bit separately and you bought the Windows in Digital form (came directly from the Microsoft online store or the online company Digital River) then the Product Key may have been emailed to you and/or can also be found by logging into your Microsoft Store/Digital River account and looking in the Digital Locker section.

I hope this helps,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:51 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:51 PM
  • I got it as a student copy from my university and the key was on a piece of paper. It's been 4 years since then. Any chance Microsoft support will be able to help if I supply the product id?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Hi jangozo,

Unfortunately, Microsoft is specifically not allowed (due to Privacy) to link Customer information to Product Keys.  Meaning support would have no way of knowing which Product Key belongs to you.

If the key that university gave you was hand written on a slip of paper, it is likely that the key was a Volume License Key (keys that can be used by more then one person) and the university should be able to give you the key again. 

Darin MS
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:41 PM