Compaq smart array card RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to intall Windows home server but it does not seem to be detecting the hard drives or else the array controler that is installed in the machines.  I have 2 147gb drives hooked upto a compaq smart array 431 card.  It does ask for drivers when trying to install so i burned the widows 2003 drivers to cd and tried to load them but it will still not detect the drives.  When starting the machine the array controler detects the drives fine and sets them up as seperate drives.  Any thoughts?

Friday, August 31, 2007 6:25 PM

All replies

• You probably need to boot from a CD and run the Compaq Array configuration utility first. In this utility, you will be able to configure one or more "arrays" and then within the array, create a logical drive. This logical drive will then look to the WHS install as a physical drive.

You should have a couple of options on the array configuration side. Probably the best choice would be to create two arrays with one physical drive in each array. Then create 2 logical disks and start the WHS install. WHS will create one 20gb partition on the first drive and then add the other 126gb and the second 146gb drive to the drive pool.

Since not all RAID controllers will allow you to create single drive arrays, this plan may not work. If that's the case, you would have 2 choice. The most space efficient but least reliable way would be to create a RAID-0 (stripe) set which would give you one 292gb array which you could then present as one physical disk to WHS. Failure of either drive will cause a complete loss of the system and data partions.

The second method would be to create a RAID-1 (mirror) which would give you one 146b array to present to WHS. In this setup, failure of either drive would result in only the need to replace the drive and no system or data loss.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Yup had already configured the 2 logical drives on the array.

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:13 PM