Demigrator on 98-100% during last days RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have problem, I think, the sever seems to be running on 100%. Demigrator seems to be running all the time. I thought I should submit a troublereport yesterday but I could not get the Troubleshooting Toolkit to send. It run for 30 min and then it return a message saying something like "Talq did not return...", maybe it is because of the high load in the sever.

Is there any workaround for this?

Also when I login with RDC there is a warning that C: or D: is running low on diskspace. I have at least 500GB of free space in the system, are these two issues related.

/bengt

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:04 AM

Answers

• Probably the two issues are related. When you rdp into WHS please check free space on your D drive. If it's less then 20 GB that's probably the cause of the error message. Normally demigrator should move the files from the D partition to the free space on your other drive(s).

Apparently something is preventing this. The most likely issue a problem with an invalid reparsepoint (tombstone). The shares folder (D:\shares) should normally only contain tombstones that point to the actual storage location(s) of the files. Another possibility is that you don't have enough free space left on your D partition for demigrator to function properly. For background info on WHS storage please read Drive Extender

To recover please try:

1. MOVE 40 - 50 GB off data from the server (access data from the network shares folder on a client or the WHS shortcut for shares folder on the WHS desktop) to a client or external drive.

2. Check free space again after a few hours. If does not decrease:

3. User catsaver has made a utility to cleanup the invalid reparsepoints. Please read the instructions before you run the utility. Probably it's also a good idea to stop the demigrator service and backup services before running this utility:

RDP into WHS, open command shell (Start, Run, Type cmd and Hit Enter)

In command shell type 

a. net stop “drive extender migrator service” (including the quotes) and Hit Enter

b. net stop pdl and Hit Enter

c. net stop whsbackup and Hit Enter

4. Run the utility on the folder D:\shares and D:\folders

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:33 AM
  • I have now been running build 1776 for some days and now everything is working fine. One thing that I say directly was that the size for "duplicates" now are the same as for the marked folder (for duplication). This was not the case when I had the problem. WHS is now running on less than 5%...

/bengt

Friday, July 11, 2008 11:03 AM

All replies

• Probably the two issues are related. When you rdp into WHS please check free space on your D drive. If it's less then 20 GB that's probably the cause of the error message. Normally demigrator should move the files from the D partition to the free space on your other drive(s).

Apparently something is preventing this. The most likely issue a problem with an invalid reparsepoint (tombstone). The shares folder (D:\shares) should normally only contain tombstones that point to the actual storage location(s) of the files. Another possibility is that you don't have enough free space left on your D partition for demigrator to function properly. For background info on WHS storage please read Drive Extender

To recover please try:

1. MOVE 40 - 50 GB off data from the server (access data from the network shares folder on a client or the WHS shortcut for shares folder on the WHS desktop) to a client or external drive.

2. Check free space again after a few hours. If does not decrease:

3. User catsaver has made a utility to cleanup the invalid reparsepoints. Please read the instructions before you run the utility. Probably it's also a good idea to stop the demigrator service and backup services before running this utility:

RDP into WHS, open command shell (Start, Run, Type cmd and Hit Enter)

In command shell type 

a. net stop “drive extender migrator service” (including the quotes) and Hit Enter

b. net stop pdl and Hit Enter

c. net stop whsbackup and Hit Enter

4. Run the utility on the folder D:\shares and D:\folders

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Can you please describe your system in more detail? Number and size of drives, data sizes reported on the Server Storage tab of the console, etc?
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:05 PM
  • Will do when I get home from work...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:12 PM
  • It is a system with one 80GB and two 500GB. When I installed the system I did it with only the 80GB HD installed. Afte that I installed the two 500GB. When this was done I started to backup PC's, one Vista and four XP (both home and prof)(183GB). I also downloaded 134GB music and photos. Both photos and music has "duplication" on. Now Demigrator is running on 98-100%. I have tried to run Troubleshooting Toolkit (TALQ) but it return "Talq did nor return..."

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  Bengt Dahlberg wrote:
    It is a system with one 80GB and two 500GB. When I installed the system I did it with only the 80GB HD installed.

Not sure if it's related to you problem or not, but you should install WHS on a high capacity drive (I would say at least 300 GB).

Bengt Dahlberg wrote:
    Afte that I installed the two 500GB. When this was done I started to backup PC's, one Vista and four XP (both home and prof)(183GB). I also downloaded 134GB music and photos. Both photos and music has "duplication" on. Now Demigrator is running on 98-100%. I have tried to run Troubleshooting Toolkit (TALQ) but it return "Talq did nor return..."

It also might just need some more time to move the data.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:56 AM
  • I have now been running build 1776 for some days and now everything is working fine. One thing that I say directly was that the size for "duplicates" now are the same as for the marked folder (for duplication). This was not the case when I had the problem. WHS is now running on less than 5%...

/bengt

Friday, July 11, 2008 11:03 AM