OneCare causing web browser to freeze up? RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that systems with OneCare installed will sometimes freeze (no mouse, no keyboard, no input possible) when using Firefox or Opera browsers (and less commonly IE7) particularly when using VPN.  I tried unchecking the option for "virus-like" behavior and seeing if that helps matters.  I will see what happens and check with other users as well who are having this same problem and see if they are using OneCare.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:07 AM

Answers

• The problem may not be due to OneCare, although it could be caused by a conflict with other software. If the CPU is pegged at 100% by the msmpeng.exe process, which is the engine for the antimalware part of OneCare, it is likely bumping into another process that also wants to scan the files loading into memory or opening. Since you state that it happens both on a VPN connection and a non-VPN connection, I can't point to the VPN software as the culprit, assuming you are using a 3rd party product.

Your best bet is to contact OneCare support, unless you know you are using other security software, disable it and the problem goes away.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm moving this thread to the Antivirus topic.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:25 PM

All replies

• The problem may not be due to OneCare, although it could be caused by a conflict with other software. If the CPU is pegged at 100% by the msmpeng.exe process, which is the engine for the antimalware part of OneCare, it is likely bumping into another process that also wants to scan the files loading into memory or opening. Since you state that it happens both on a VPN connection and a non-VPN connection, I can't point to the VPN software as the culprit, assuming you are using a 3rd party product.

Your best bet is to contact OneCare support, unless you know you are using other security software, disable it and the problem goes away.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm moving this thread to the Antivirus topic.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Ok, I'll contact OneCare Support.   Note that the CPU are not loaded when this occurs (the CPU usage is fairly low when the system freezes up).  The issue is observed only on XP, and I'm using Lenovo laptops (T60, T60p, X61).  In Vista, the browsers just crash without taking down the operating system with them.

Also, it doesn't look like unchecking the option on Virus checking has any benefit ... I just locked up XP with my Opera browser.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Support doesn't know what is wrong yet.  I just sent them more system information.  It doesn't look like an easy problem to diagnose even though this issue occurs on several different systems using OneCare with some regularity (once every day or two).  It's probably premature to blame OneCare for this issue.  It could be some kind of common browser code (occurs in IE7, Opera, Mozilla) or an XP issue, I suppose.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:07 AM
  • Please do keep us posted on the findings.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:05 PM
  • This issue may be related to a bug in the Flash 9 player.  I have downgraded to Flash 8 and am testing.  So far, the system is stable with Flash 8.  I have reported the problem to Adobe and encourage others with system freezes while browsing to sites that have Flash content (adverstisements, usually) to try downgrading to Flash 8 (or at least temporarily uninstalling Flash 9) to see if that fixes the problem.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for the update and good luck.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:39 PM