Defining Alternate Keyboard Shortcuts to Force a System Crash from the Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc266483.aspx

In the MSDN Library article is given a leading, how to define an alternate keyboard shortcut to force an System Crash from the keyboard:

1. In HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt create the subkey "crashdump"
    2. Under this subkey create the REG_DWORD values "Dump1Keys" and "Dump2Key"
    3. Give the Dump1Keys a value from a table, e.g. "0x20" for "Leftmost CTRL key"
    4. Give the Dump2Key a value, but this is my problem.

It is written "The Dump2Key registry value is the index into the scancode table for the keyboard layout on the target computer. The following is the actual table in the driver:
    const UCHAR keyToScanTbl[134] = { following 134 values as e.g. 0x29}"

My question: How can I find which key on the keyboard has which hexadecimal value?
    The table  must have an explanation, but this is not existing.

Friday, March 12, 2010 3:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Perhaps, have a look at this. Not straightforward, but it can be figured out.

Also note that you  have to remove CrashOnCtrlScroll, or set it to 0, for the alternate dump keys to work.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Many thanks for your hint.
    I see, to identify the right Dump2Key is an operation in two parts. First identify the scancode of the choosen key and secondly identify from the keyToScanTbl the index value to write in the Dump2Key.
    For an usual PS/2 keyboard the keyToScanTbl[134) I have found.
    Now I have a second problem: My Windows XP runs in a virtual machine under VMware Fusion on a MacBook. This means: I want to write an index value for an key into the Windows registry, but the keys on the keyboard are from a Macintosh keyboard. And I think, the keyToScanTbl is an other than PS/2. 
    Therefore I believe, I must find out, the MacBook has an keyToScanTbl also and then find it.
    What do you mean, is this a successful way?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:52 AM
  • I'm not familiar with Macs, but I suppose if there is no direct or straightforward correlation that would be the path to take.

Is that also the reason you're looking into alternate dump keys in the first place?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Yes, this is it. My MacBook has a keyboard with 78 keys and U.S. keyboard layout. It does not have a R-CTRL key and not a SCROLL LOCK key. For a manually initiated crash (BSOD 0xE2) I need this keys. So I search, how to define an alternate shortcut for this BSOD.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Depending on what you need, there are also command-line utilities you can use to blue-screen a system at your whim.  I believe you can find one at nirsoft.net, and I also believe Dmitry Vostokov (dumpanalysis.org) makes one available (possibly on the Citrix site).  Of course, if the system is hung, this type of utility will likely be of little help - it really depends on the situation that is causing you to look for such a capability...
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:19 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Friday, May 7, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Hello

An explanation like this one?

http://www.asciitable.com/

hth

Marcelo

Friday, May 7, 2010 6:26 PM