Will not back up Windows 10 (TH10525) client RRS feed

• Question

• Previously, I had loaded Windows 10 Insider Preview to a freshly formatted HD (NTFS, MBR), utilizing a motherboard with a traditional (non UEFI) bios.  I then accessed my Windows Home Server 2011 (WHS) via browser, to install the connector software.  Everything went smoothly with the installation of the connector software.  The server recognized the Win 10 machine and the Dashboard worked fine.  Upon attempting to do the Win 10 backup, the status would only get to 1%, then fail.  The WHS backed up the 100mb RESERVED partition, but not the main 500gb partition.  Last night I received notification that TN 10525 was ready for installation on the Win 10 box.  I performed the upgrade to this new version of Win 10.  Upon reboot, I uninstalled the WHS connector and re-installed it by accessing the WHS/connect.  I then rebooted the Win 10 box.  Upon attempting a fresh backup, the Dashboard got to 8%, which was better than the Insider Preview version, but then failed.  The status indicated that the 100mb Reserved partition backed up successfully but only .4gb of the main 500gb partition backed up before it failed.  I've attempted re-boots and connector reloads to no avail.

I currently have 5 Windows 7 boxes connected to my WHS, all operating correctly.  One of the Win 7 boxes has a newer motherboard with a UEFI bios and a GPT formatted HD.  This newer box backs up fine.  I have installed the UEFI bios hotfix on my WHS and all the updates have been installed to the WHS.  

I want to upgrade my 5 PC's to Windows 10 but I rely on my WHS 2011, not only to back up my PC's but also to store and allow remote access to 1.5TB of music, 2TB of videos and .5TB of digital pictures.  Everything I have read indicates that Win 10 should work fine with WHS 2011, but I am not having any success.  Help?    

• Edited by Ken Bensman Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:36 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that WHS 2011 failed to back up Windows 10 at about 8%.

Install available Windows Update on Windows 10 and WHS, this might be helpful to resolve some known issues. Disable any 3rd party software/process temporarily on Windows 10, then run back up and confirm the result.

Besides, run chkdsk /f /r on Windows 10, to list and correct errors on the disk. Detailed information about Chkdsk you may reference link below:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490876.aspx

If the problem persists, open dashboard on WHS, bringing up the properties of the computer and confirm that if any useful diagnostic information. And check to see if any event has been logged on Event Viewer.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hello Eve,

It's now apparent that running Local Disk (C) Properties, Tools, Error Checking, does not do the same as the Chkdsk /f /r.  I did, in fact, run the chkdsk and it found correctable errors.  A subsequent run of WHS 2011 backup was successful in backing up my Windows 10 computer.  Thanks for the help.  I look forward to upgrading my existing Windows 7 computers.

Ken 

Saturday, August 29, 2015 7:32 PM