OneCare Backup takes up more space than my entire computer disk has on it. RRS feed

• Question

• I have used 66.9 GB on my c drive.  Not all files are being backed up.  However, my OneCare backup folder on my external drive is 72.6 GB and so I can't run anymore backups until I free up space--there is no more space to free up.  Why is my backup so large?  Should I just delete it and start over?

I have freed up all available space on the external and eliminated more files from the backup profile.  I am running the express backup.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:27 PM

Answers

• Backup will first backup all files selected in your backup plan. It compresses these into .zip files, so the total space used is smaller than the amount that the files take up on the original drive.
    Each time that you run backup, it *adds* to the backup by backing up new and changed files into *new* zip files and updates the catalog. That is why the overall space used by backup can grow substantially. There is no backup maintenance to get rid of older backups. If you are running low on space, it is best to delete teh old backup and start over with a new full backup.
    FAQ: How to Delete Backups

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:50 PM