none
Upgrade a WHS Client PC from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I’m planning to upgrade one of my WHS client PCs from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate (both 64-bit versions).  Are there any recommended steps I should take on the WHS side prior to the upgrade?  For example, should I remove the Windows Vista Ultimate client PC from the WHS backup list?

I am planning to do a “clean install” of Windows 7 on the client PC, so I would like to use my WHS as a temporary file store for my important documents during the Win 7 upgrade process.  I’m interested in utilizing the “Windows Easy Transfer” tool to streamline this process.  Does the “Windows Easy Transfer” tool would support WHS as a storage location?  Or would it be more efficient to simply transfer my important documents to a shared folder location on my WHS?

Any other special circumstances I should take into consideration before performing the upgrade?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I searched Microsoft’s WHS website and the community forums for related information and I wasn’t able to find anything specifically related to my questions.

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• The best place to learn about Windows Easy Transfer is going to be the Microsoft web site. It's not part of Windows Home Server.

That said, I would:

• Test your backups. A backup strategy that has never been tested should be assumed unreliable. So try some single file restores, compare some files. Generally make sure you'll be able to restore files from your Vista machine.
    • Assuming your backups are good, lock the last backup for the Vista machine.
    • Install Windows 7.
    • Restore files using the single file restore capabilities.
    You can try the transfer wizard instead, but I've never found that they do all that I want, the way that I want.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by schlatts Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:59 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 10:55 PM