"Fresh Start" Suggestions Requested RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been an MS Money user since the 90's, but I am new to this forum.  I have browsed and number of threads in the forum and think it's great that there are still so many enthusiastic Money users willing to help each other continue to use it despite no support from Microsoft.

Anyway, I am running Sunset version 17.0.120.3817 on Windows 7 64-bit without issue.  Over the years, however, I have not kept up with inputting, downloading, or reconciling all the transactions for some accounts.  I also have noticed the application running much slower in recent years, and I suspect that may be due to the database continuing to grow (My Money.mny file is 26.7 MB).  As such, I thought I would just start a new file with transactions effective the first of this year, so I have "clean", accurate account balances and information going forward.  I would rename my current file so that I could, over time, open and continue to work in it to reconcile the history, then at some later date, perhaps I'd want to remerge the data so all of the information is again in one file.

I'd appreciate any input any users on this forum care to share regarding whether this idea makes sense, or if there are better approaches to "getting a fresh start" and/or speeding up the application.

Thanks.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:18 PM

All replies

• Most people report that a large data file does not cause Money to slow down appreciably.  And a data file of 25 MB is not at all unusual.  One thing that is reported to fix a general slowdown is to remove all your bills and deposits and re-create them.  This process is described here:

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/418.aspx

Read this carefully and proceed with caution!

As for merging two Money data files, - there is no way to do this.  If you want to preserve your history, the simplest thing is to enter adjustment transactions into each Money account to make Money match the actual balances and holdings.

Bill Becker

Saturday, January 4, 2014 11:12 PM