WHS2011 unable to access and failing to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a whs2011 setup on a home server for more than a year and had no problems accessing it.  Very recently I have been unable to access the server from any of my devices, even after recycling the mains on router and server. As problem still there, I decided I had to connect a keyboard and access the server directly. What I found was I was presented with a load screen requesting me to either run repair or load windows normally. Both options failed with Status: 0xc0000185 and suggested I load from install DVD and run repair. This I did and although I had a wide choice of backups to choose from when I run it I get this display:

The system Image restore failed. Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using E.F.I and this computer is using B.I.O.S.

This threw me as I have not changed a single thing since I installed this system on this computer.The strange thing is I do use a E.F.I Bios.

I am more or less resigned to re-install the system, unless anyone has other ideas, which brings me to a couple of questions.

1. As I cannot remove my server name because I cannot access the system, do I have to use another name or will it pick up the old one?

2. All my server folders are on a Raid 5 system via a raid card, except for the backups of server and clients which are on external drives. The question is, will I lose all the data on the raid drives and have to put them back on as I have a lot of files and data there. Or, will they be safe as they are controlled by the raid card? When I installed the system I loaded the raid drivers and Ethernet drivers at the start when it gives me the option.

3. As whs2011 had already set up the router for remote access, do I need to do it again?

Many thanks for reading this and I hope someone might be able to help.

Regards,

David

• Edited by MysticMaster Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:22 AM title change
    Friday, November 15, 2013 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. You’d better use another name.

2. If you follow the steps to reinstall WHS 2011, it will not harm your data. But I suggest you’d better backup your data before reinstalling.

3. Yes, you should do it again after finishing reinstalling it.

Regards

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:19 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. You’d better use another name.

2. If you follow the steps to reinstall WHS 2011, it will not harm your data. But I suggest you’d better backup your data before reinstalling.

3. Yes, you should do it again after finishing reinstalling it.

Regards

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:19 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks Ninja_Gaiden I feel more empowered now you have put my mind at rest.

Unfortunately I cannot backup my data as I said, I cannot access the system. However, as you inform me that I will not harm the data that is already on the raid drives I shall just go ahead and re-install whs2011. When you say if I follow the steps to reinstall WHS2011 I take it you just mean that I load the raid and ethernet drivers when I start the install. The system goes on an SSD drive but the raid drives are all normal hard drives.

Many Thanks, thank you.

Regards,

David

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:53 AM