Custom presence & routing by presence status RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello

Yesterday I viewed the Zeacom UCC product and noticed they have 2 very cool features on their presence servers.

1 - the ability to create a custom presence state - eg "Away sick" or "Long Service Leave", and further, these states can be set by someone duly delegated to do so - eg a central recepionist for instance.

2 - The ability to define what happens to my calls based on a particular presence status - eg, If I'm in a meeting, fwd to my secretary ( maybe i can be interrupted ), if I am on leave I can leave a specific voice message as such, If I am inactive then I can leave a different message like "try again in 10 minutes" etc...

Actually point 2 can be taken even further... You can handle calls based upon the caller id so that if the boss calls you can leave a custom message or ask them to press 1 to go to your cell/mobile.

Can any of this be done ? I guess I could write my own application to have a receptionist change the status in the sqldb, but I don't think there is any way to do routing based upon presence status.

I know the MS product is early days but if they want to turn it into some sort of soft-switch then they might need to think about this.

Thanks

T

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:04 PM

All replies

• OCS is not really a full soft switch as it has many features like IP Tel solutions but OCS missed out on a lot of features so that you cannot consider this a full IP Tel solution

1. You cannot delegate presence states to others

2. You only have one routing for everyone (forward to voicemail if not answered is default) or a fixed forward to a specific number

3. You can however write a custom application and use the OCS API and not change in SQL check the OCS SDK

Deli

PS : Nortel IP Tel does have custom routing but that is Nortel specific but what I have heard is that MS is looking in this for a future release

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Hello,

my developer team is already working on the presence based router:

- we have a presence collector application that scans all the OCS (and federatedSmile) users presence info and logs to a DB (this is a standalone application that can also be used for worktime reports or other stats)

- the forecast server application collects the calendar and presence info and calculates the extimated availability of the users (if I am offline now, what is my expexted availability when I will be back to the office) (this is another application that shows the historical and forcasted info in the OC Client)

- the router filters the incoming calls, gets the info from the forecast server for the called party, gets the access level between the parties, and turns to the adjunct router application

- the adjunct router can be any 3rd party application (some business inteligence) or Geomant's router that simply answers where to route the call to

- then the router filter forwards the call to the selected destination

Let me know if you are interested

robert

rsimon@geomant.com

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:33 AM
  • You can define up to four custom presence settings for users by configuring and deploying a custom XML file for OC clients:

http://blogs.technet.com/toml/archive/2007/11/30/oc-custom-presence-states.aspx

Also, I believe OCS 2007 R2 will have some feature enhancements regarding your second point, but I'm not sure of the details on that as of yet.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:05 PM
  • OCS 2007 R2 sounds promising in many ways

I will hang on until it comes out

Thanks

T

Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:53 PM