Firewall protection RRS feed

• Question

•  

I went to one a couple of the firewall test sites and it says that ports are open and my computer is vulnerable.  The firewall is running and of course there is the Quest DSL router to.  What gives?  Obviously, I don't know much about these things.
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:58 PM

Answers

• It could be there are ports open on your DSL router and not on your computer.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:59 PM

All replies

• It could be there are ports open on your DSL router and not on your computer.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:59 PM
  • I haven't really touched the router since Quest set it up.   Should I be concerned with open ports in the router?

Saturday, October 13, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Most likely some ports are open to listen for certain services such as e-mail, and remote network access. You can perform another scan, record which ports are open and then look up what that port is commonly used for.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Joh

I always check my ports http://www.grc.com/intro.htm and they come as THEY DON'T EXIST for sure is  my router that is protecting me I doubt LOC is doing anything to protect me set your settings in your modem to HIGH ( in the firewall) AND and just let ip passtrought. I did that because thanks to LOC i had  20open ports  now each time I scan i get the green report that says I pass and no ports are open try  that man

Here they are just in love or crazy about LOC or maybe are the same LOC inventors/micro programers that answer and they  just don't see the truth about LOC and  how can you be objective in giving a helping hand or answers to the concerns if you don't see anything wrong with this program ?

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Junior, I have run Shields Up many times both from behind a router and with a direct cable connection on the three computers I am using One Care on, and the results are  always pure stealth. This is not a One Care issue but a router configuration issue or there is an installed application which requires a port to be visible for proper functionality. There is also quite a difference between an open port and a visible port. This is both the real answer and the truth.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Ok Mr JIM MVP

help me with my ussie i been waiting for 5 days to get an answer tell me the TRUTH

FIREWALL/NSC/NETWORK DISCOVERY SET TO CUSTOM

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:47 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand your post but if you are looking for a refund go here - http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:56 PM
  • I suggest you to learn from Mr Stephen Boots a true gentleman and a true moderator that with no problem understood my question without hate and with allot of kindness if you work/or do it free for microsoft instead of beign an asset to that company you are more like a liability .

I will like to write a letter to your boss/main moderator to complain about you cuz i felt not just insulted but more like discriminated

If you are going to answer please give me your supervisors name and email my letter is waiting to be sent as soon as i get that info

Junior

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Junior, the moderators here are volunteers, trying our best to make sense of questions and giving answers or guidance where we can. None of us work for Microsoft either directly or indirectly.

Thank you very much for the complement, but please don't take Jim's post as an insult. Based on the discussion within this thread and the tone of your post that he replied to, he gave a reasonable answer as there was no way to relate that post to your other thread. Had you included a link to the thread (that would be the full address from your web browser address bar), he would have been able to see that you had an unanswered question pending.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:56 PM