Need a hand with remote access setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble connecting to my WHS via remote access. The reomte access wizard completes successfully and says that the connection is available. I can browse to the webpage using the internal machine name; however when I try to go to the https://****.homeserver.com address the connection times out.

I have two routers on my network: the DSL modem and my netgear wireless access point/router.

The WHS is connected to the netgear router. The netgear router is connected to the DSL modem. (both by wire)

The DSL modem and the netgear router are on different subnets.

DSL modem: IP 10.0.0.1; LAN subnet 10.*.*.*
    router: IP 10.0.0.2; gateway IP: 10.0.0.1; LAN IP: 192.168.1.1;  LAN subnet 192.168.*.*
    WHS: IP 192.168.1.11, gateway IP: 192.168.1.1

The DSL modem forwards ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the router at 10.0.0.2. The router forawrds those same ports to 192.168.1.11.

Network routing is not my strong suit but it looks like everything should work. But it doesn't.

What other bits should I be looking at?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:07 AM

Answers

• You should just put one of your routers into bridge mode. Probably the best one for that would be the broadband modem. That will take one level of indirection and NAT out of the picture.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:32 AM