Windows Home Server 2011 Connector not compatible with Windows 10 10.0.10586 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trawling the web for help on this problem, but so far have turned up nothing that will help.

I have a Win10 client running 10.0.10586 and WHS 2011 server running 6.1.7601 .

After a fresh uninstall/re-install of the Connector software on the Win10 client, everything works OK, but the connection fails at next log-in.

The Connector icon is greyed out, and I get a message asking me if I want to enter Off-Line mode.

I have run the Connector Troubleshooter, but this yields all sorts of seemingly unrelated errors including the Connector being the wrong version (despite being installed from the server http://<myserver>/connect).

I have read online about the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml file on the server. Clearly this does not contain Win10 as a supported OS.. is this the problem??

Really need your help to resolve this..

Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:38 PM

All replies

• I have been trawling the web for help on this problem, but so far have turned up nothing that will help.

I have a Win10 client running 10.0.10586 and WHS 2011 server running 6.1.7601 .

After a fresh uninstall/re-install of the Connector software on the Win10 client, everything works OK, but the connection fails at next log-in.

The Connector icon is greyed out, and I get a message asking me if I want to enter Off-Line mode.

I have run the Connector Troubleshooter, but this yields all sorts of seemingly unrelated errors including the Connector being the wrong version (despite being installed from the server http://<myserver>/connect).

I have read online about the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml file on the server. Clearly this does not contain Win10 as a supported OS.. is this the problem??

Really need your help to resolve this..

I have the same issue.

I have removed and reinstalled several times and was even able to get a successful backup once - but as soon as I reboot I get the same issues.

Any likelihood this is going to be resolved. 

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:32 PM
  • same problem
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:44 PM
  • And I, too have the same problem (and the same WIN 10 and WHS 2011 versions). I've uninstalled and reinstalled WHS Connector and it connected with the server......  UNTIL restart!!!  

Everything was working well UNTIL the recent WIN 10 update.  That same update broke the WIN 10 machine's WOL capability; I also cannot WOL, whereas I did before this recent update.

Dec 22, 2015 Update: Client (Win 10) WOL working now.  Client Connector works on some boots, but not all.   
    • Edited by Bill - SEA Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:37 PM new information
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:20 PM
  • I have the same problem with Home Server 2011 and Windows 10.0.10586.

Monday, December 21, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Just an update - reverted back to W7 Pro+SP1

Installed and it worked for several reboots until it failed again with the same symptoms as W10 this morning.......

Need to investigate a bit more when I get home - could be a red herring.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:52 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issues as well.  I verified the OS version on Win 10 and WHS and can reproduce an uninstall and reinstall of the connector to resolve the issue but as soon as I reboot it will not find my home server again.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:38 PM
  • I installed the following hotfix on my WHS yesterday - so far so good. 

KB2781272

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

(There are two downloads available with no obvious explanation to the difference so I installed the one with the higher number!)

The hot fix reported itself as a Feature Pack - is this a standard name or am I reading too much into it?

I noticed that the server then pushed out an update to the connector that required a reboot(This was on a W8 64 bit PC that I use to host WMCE)

Perhaps there have been some changes......

If anybody else tries this could they report back with their results.

If my installation plays up again I'll be back to update the thread - but assume that 'no news is good news' :)

Saturday, March 5, 2016 10:19 AM
  • I have had that Hotfix on my two WHS2011 servers for years - I have not experienced any Connector problems with my Win 10 machines.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:03 PM