User Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems with permissions and hope somebody can help.  I have created a user on WHS 2011 with full read/write permissions on shared folders, and when I map a network drive from my PC and login with user's credentials, the permissions do not flow.  What I am trying to do specifically is to have an application use a directory on the server as the target to store files.  I can see the directory but the "ok" button to select a folder is not available.

Kevin

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:16 AM

Answers

• Certainly HomeGroup can only be complcating things S HomeGroup permissions override WHS. What I am confused by is that you say you can map a drive but not save it - are you trying to map a full drive or just a folder on the drive? If the former, try the latter.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:29 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:26 PM

All replies

• Did you use the Dashboard to create the User and their permissions with Credentials that match the Windows user? Do you have a HomeGroup set up which overrides WHS permissions? You should not need to "Login" to a shared folder.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:00 AM
  • I originally created a user with the dashboard and set permissions to read/write.  From my PC i then went to map a network drive and selected login with different user.  After logging in I could see the drive but was not able to save to it.

I then created a user via dashboard with full permissions that matched what I use to login on my PC.  Again, I could map the drive but not save to it.

I am in a homegroup - should I remove the server from it?

Kevin

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Certainly HomeGroup can only be complcating things S HomeGroup permissions override WHS. What I am confused by is that you say you can map a drive but not save it - are you trying to map a full drive or just a folder on the drive? If the former, try the latter.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:29 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Mapping the drive works but I don't have write access.  For example, I have mapped my P: and can see all of the shared folders on it from my PC.  the problem is when I go to either delete a file or want to select a directory to save files.  Therefore, I am not getting write permission

Kevin

Friday, November 21, 2014 4:07 AM
  • I still do not understand how you are mapping a whole drive on WHS - can you explain what you are doing? Or are you saying you are mapping all the shared folders (which might in your case be on a single drive)?

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:50 PM