upgrade home premium with a full professional product key RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Home Premium install on my HP laptop that originally came with Windows 7 Professional. I went to upgrade to Professional using the key provided with my laptop, and I get an invalid message. So am I wrong in thinking I can do this?

Tekno93

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:10 AM

Answers

• You state: "I went to upgrade to Professional using the key provided with my laptop...."

Unfortunately, that product key is an OEM Windows 7 product key which cannot be used for a Windows Anytime Upgrade (only Retail product keys can perform upgrades).  In order to install the orginal HP preinstalled Windows 7 Professional operating system, you'll need to reformat the hard drive and use the HP Windows 7 Professional Recovery disc.  Please see: Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:41 PM

All replies

• "Tekno93" wrote in message news:67c2575f-2b08-4ff2-a582-667ba792e1d6...

I have Windows 7 Home Premium install on my HP laptop that originally came with Windows 7 Professional. I went to upgrade to Professional using the key provided with my laptop, and I get an invalid message. So am I wrong in thinking I can do this?

Tekno93

You should be able to use the Anytime Upgrade process to upgrade to Pro - you cannot just change the Key.
    Click on Start
    in the Search box, type
    Anytime Upgrade
    hot the Enter key.
    Follow the instructions

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:16 AM
  • You cannot use a product key to change the edition of Windows.  The COA product key on your computer only works with the edition of Windows that is printed on the label.  It will only work if that edition is already installed or you are reinstalling that edition.  You must either use the original recovery disks from the manufacturer to reinstall Professional or a retail Windows 7 Professional installation dvd to perform an upgrade.  You can order recovery media from the manufacturer or a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.  Back up your files first.  If you use the recovery disks you will have to reinstall your programs and files.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:53 PM
    Answerer
  • You state: "I went to upgrade to Professional using the key provided with my laptop...."

Unfortunately, that product key is an OEM Windows 7 product key which cannot be used for a Windows Anytime Upgrade (only Retail product keys can perform upgrades).  In order to install the orginal HP preinstalled Windows 7 Professional operating system, you'll need to reformat the hard drive and use the HP Windows 7 Professional Recovery disc.  Please see: Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:41 PM