Turn off automatic updates and how to quit getting the warnings on my Circle to turn the updates on. RRS feed

• Question

• Please help on this issue.  I have several computers on the One Care plan.  The problem is this.  Because the settings have to be set to receive the updates from Microsoft the Service Pak 3 updates automatically all three computers.  Now here is where it's really frustrating.  After the installation I have had nothing but major problems with all the computers.  Two of them are XP and the third is Vista.  I uninstalled the updates on each computer and I'm still having problems with all the computers even after uninstalling the update AND doing a system restore on all the computers to an earlier time before the Service Pack Installed.  At least now the problems aren't as severe as they were after the update.  Here is my major problem.  I don't want automatic updates through One Care because of these kinds of problems.  So many times my computers have been hosed because of an update like the Service Packs and other major upgrades.  I don't have a problem with security updates.  I have disabled the automatic updates on all the computers because I want to be the one to install a major updates not One Care.  By disabling the updates the One Care Icon constantly gives a warning to turn the automatic updates on and I want to decide.  Is there any way to turn off this irritating warning to turn on automatic updates?  I'm at the point where I want to cancel my subscription and take One Care off because I don't want any more major computers problems like I've had with this last update.  Thanks

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read that you've had problems with the updates on your computers. Unfortunately, you cannot turn off AU without OneCare going to red/at risk status. I'll paste my opinion of the AU setting requirement at the end of this reply, but it sounds like you need to get help with the updates on all 3 of your computers. Even though that may be a hassle, support for these Service Pack updates is free from Microsoft.

XP Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab2

Vista - (US Link to support, requires sign-in) https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=11274&gprid=500921

Vista Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0

The following is my "boilerplate" response to questions regarding the AU requirement of OneCare:

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve
    Friday, May 23, 2008 6:43 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read that you've had problems with the updates on your computers. Unfortunately, you cannot turn off AU without OneCare going to red/at risk status. I'll paste my opinion of the AU setting requirement at the end of this reply, but it sounds like you need to get help with the updates on all 3 of your computers. Even though that may be a hassle, support for these Service Pack updates is free from Microsoft.

XP Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab2

Vista - (US Link to support, requires sign-in) https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=11274&gprid=500921

Vista Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0

The following is my "boilerplate" response to questions regarding the AU requirement of OneCare:

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve
    Friday, May 23, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Unfortunately, this also falls into the category of "who owns this computer, anyway?!?!".  It is issues with who owns the computer that caused me to dump McAfee and Norton as fast as I could after successfully experimenting with OneCare.  McAfee and Norton both evolved into having attitudes like their software owned your computer.

I just purchased a new HP notebook, and this is my first Vista system.  The HP came with sample Norton software already installed on it.  The first thing I did (truthfully) was uninstall it.

I have had several XP systems operational for a long time.  The XP systems are configured to automatically download, but not install, Microsoft updates.  Their OneCare remains green with that setting -- which is what should happen.  I own the computer, not OneCare.  It appears that the Vista system does not have this option.  If I set Microsoft Update to download but not install, it appears I'm stuck with red on OneCare.

The logic of OneCare going red is this highly flawed.  What it incentivizes is teaching people to ignore OneCare in a red condition.  For experienced computer users, not installing updates automatically is the correct thing to do.  #1. All updates should be reviewed before being installed to at least understand what might be impacted by the installation.  #2. It is wise to wait a week or two before performing the update, unless there is some sign of an immediate threat, so that there is time to learn about any horror stories resulting from performing the latest update. 

Automatic update of XP SP2?  Talk about horror stories.

I completely agree with OneCare's approach for the inexperience user.  My argument #1 above does not apply at all to the inexperienced user.  Inexperienced users generally don't understand the descriptions of the updates.

However, OneCare needs to have some advanced settings buried down some path of button clicks that allow the experienced user to say what results in red, yellow and green.  That is how the experienced user can then rely upon OneCare to be doing its job properly.  That is, only flashing a red alert when it is the proper thing to do.  This avoids the situation where a user simply leaves OneCare in a red alert condition and ignores it -- thereby ignoring other legitimate conditions that should be resolved.

I've heard the argument that OneCare is for the inexperienced user.  I somewhat understand that argument, however... that argument doesn't explain the advanced settings under the Firewall configuration.  No inexperienced user is going to understand all that technical talk under the advanced Firewall settings.  Therefore, OneCare has already realized that there needs to be additional "advanced" options for dealing for more experienced situations.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Your experiences echo my own as I have the same problem.  Two of my three systems recently automatically updated SP3 for XP and my home desktop crashed big time.  After three weeks of attempting to get it fixed using Microsoft's help sites and phone help, an IT guy in my office discovered that my system was irretrievably toasted and had to be reformatted to even function.  Since it was the controller of my home wireless, this has caused big problems with all three of my computers.  Luckily, I turned off the automatic update feature on the last one and it was not similarly affected.  However, now I get the constant yellow warnings and reminders as it attempts to update my machine.  Also, I am using an older version of Office (2000) and it wants me to update various Office 2003 components (what's the point?), but now constantly reminds me that I deselected these since I didn't need them earlier.

This seems like a huge shortcoming by Microsoft.  The Updating feature, by being tied to Microsoft's other system functions, makes it very difficult to separate the One Care updates from the Microsoft ones when the two should not be that closely linked.

Further, after the disasterous introduction of SP3 (thousands of systems crippled or killed after this upgrade), I am unwilling to just go ahead and load it just to satisfy One Care's constantly annoying reminders.  In our office, out of 18 XP machines that were updated with SP3, 8 of them were crippled to the point of having major IT work done on them.  Myself, I have spent over 20 hours working this one out and still don't have my system back up to speed yet.  Microsoft has been no help on this issue at all.

So if I just let One Care do the update and I lose this system as well, will Microsoft compensate me for my time and efforts?  I doubt it.  So I am held hostage by a system that gives you an option at one point but removes it later one when it doesn't like your choices.  Talk about having the virus software controlling your computer...

So far, I am not impressed and will not likely renew at the end of this year.  Too bad.  I dumped McAffee when it started causing network connection problems and Norton when it bogged my system down so badly that I could no longer receive email attachments (20 minute delays to check the incoming emails).  What's left?????

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:48 AM
  • I'm sorry for the XPSP3 problem you encountered.

Note that the updates of OneCare itself and Windows Update are not tied together. The issue is that OneCare checks for missing updates offered via Windows Update, but not installed, that are classified as critical or important for security purposes. If you do not install these security updates, your system is at risk and OneCare will not be in green status.

As for the Office 2003 updates offered, for them to be offered, there is some component of Office 2003 on your system. Let them install. They will not affect your Office 2000 installation and may simply be an update to the compatibility pack that allows your copy of Office apps to read later file versions.

-steve

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I don't have any issues with the updates, in fact I have run a windows update server so all my pc's are updated regularly. This also has caused a red status in one care because the resultant domain policy overrides automatic updates on each individual pc.

There needs to be some way of one care identifying that the updates are actually being done centrally so that the red status does not show and the warning messages don't keep popping up.

Regards

Ross

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:00 AM
  • You know my opinion of the way OneCare handles watching AU settings from my post above. Since OneCare is designed for the home or small business user, they don't expect it to be running in a domain environment or one using Windows Update Services, but I agree that it is something that it should be looked at.

-steve

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:22 AM
  • It appears that the OneCare team should recognize that OneCare is more popular on a wider basis than they intended.  Might as well go with the success and support/encourage it.  :-)

Friday, July 4, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Perhaps, I'm just completely anal but, when the pop-up balloon appears telling me that there are updates to load and install, I simply click it . . . review the updates . . . and select OK.  They're usually critical updates, meaning that the computer should have them.

If I'm working on something, I choose (and, keep choosing) to restart later.

So far -- knock on wood -- I'm not aware of the aforementioned "horror stories."

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Stephen- I apologize if I am putting this in the wrong topic. It does concern updates.  In late August, or early September I installed One Care after removing Norton IS.  At that point One Care turned on Automatic Updates and I received many to my XP System.  Anyway, one or more of the updates caused a problem with both Outlook and IE by making things very slow.  It could take 10 minutes to empty the deleted items folder in Outlook with a couple of hundred items and I was having problems with video displays, i.e. things got very slow.  So I decided to turn back the clock and do system restore.  After the restore, things were perfect. No problems whatsoever.  I made sure updates were off.  Then I installed One Care.....and during the reboot One Care installed the updates automaticaly without asking me.  How can I remove the updates from my system so One care cannot install them during the reboot process?  Currently, ,I am running without One Care so I am a bit naked right now.  Thanks very much.

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:05 PM
  • No need to apologize, PLBA.

I'm actually moving this thread to the proper topic folder, Tune-up. I'm not sure why it wasn't moved before.

In any event, if the updates are marked as critical/important, you cannot ignore them and have OneCare be in Green/Good status. OneCare doesn't actually download and install the updates, but it will check to make sure that all critical and important updates have been installed.

If you are having problems with specific updates, you should contact support for Windows Updates via the information here:

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I understand that I won't be green...that is OK with me. The colors are just an indication.  What I am saying is: XP has obviously downloaded the updates...waiting for my approval to install them.  I don't want to install them because of the slowness.  There are so many updates...who knows what is really causing it.  But when I install One Care...the initial setting I guess automatically looks for updates on my PC and installs them without asking me.  I have no chance to say "No".  It would seem the only solution would be to remove the downloaded updates from my PC before I install One Care unless you tell me there is another solution. Can I do that? Or is there some way to stop One Care before it automatically installs the downloaded updates during installation?  After I install One Care, and I goto the "Securitiy Center" it shows updates as "on" even though I turned them off prior to One Care installation.  Thanks.

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:21 PM
  • No, OneCare does not download or install the updates, it simply notifies you that they are available and not installed by turning to "at risk." It also turns to "at risk" if you have not set Automatic Updates to download and install updates automatically - immediately or at a scheduled time daily. OneCare *will* set AU to the preferred setting, though, so that may be why the updates are then being downloaded and installed. Although I don't agree with the setting change made by OneCare to AU, or the warning if AU is not set the way it wants, not installing important/critical updates is not a good idea. You need to determine which update is causing the problem and resolve that. It will be time consuming, but the order of steps to take would be to visit Windows Update and install them one by one until the problem appears. Then, contact support (for Windows Update per the above link) to resolve that problem. Once you've gotten all of the updates installed and the problem resolved, install OneCare.

Alternatively, install OneCare, then switch your AU settings to notify only or to install at a scheduled time overnight, the latter being the one that will make OneCare happy. Then go through the manual download and install of each offered critical/important update until you identify the problematic one.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Am I mistaken in thinking that One Care installs the updates as it itself is installing? If I turn off AU right after One Care installs would that be fast enough?  The reason I am asking is if One Care doesn't install the updates at the same time it is installing itself, perhaps the problem is One Care itself.  I go through the install and then the PC automaticaly reboots.  It doesn't seem to take any longer than normal. Updates would probably take longer I am guessing.  I was trying to fugure out a way to print out all of the installed programs from "Add/Remove" so I could ccompare it to after I install One Care.  It doesn't seem like ther is a way to do that.  I am sorry to keep going back and forth on this...I was so pleased with One Care and also pleased that system restore worked so well.  Then to end up back where I was after installing One Care againwas a real downer.

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:02 PM
  • There are possibly two updates that OneCare needs in place before it can install itself. One would be .Net Framework 2.0 and the other is an older update, but I don't know the specific name of that update. No other updates would be installed immediately.

In the worst case, you may want to use System Restore to set a restore point before you install OneCare again. In the event that your problem appears immediately after OneCare is installed, but before you turn off AU to begin troubleshooting all available updates, you can use System Restore to go back to that state.

You can make a list of the installed updates by doing Print Screen to capture the image of the listing and pasting it into a document from the clipboard.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:48 PM
  •  

Stephen- Well I am making a little progress here. I was running a couple of days without protection because my PC worked so well. But we all no that isn't a good idea. So I thought about going back to Norton but decided to give One Care one more try.  I downloaded and installed the program. I had previously truned AU "Off". Prior to rebooting to finish the install, I went back to AU and saw One Care had turned it "On". I turned it back to "Off" and rebooted.  So far, the video Drawing slowness has not come back as it did on previous re-installs. However the one problem that has come back is the super slowness of emptying the deleted items folder in Outlook 2007.  When I empty the folder, it is very slow and the animation of the paper going into the trash is very very slow.  It seems that perhaps One Care has something to do with this.  Do you have any ideas or guesses of what might be causing this?  Thanks....PLBA
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:23 AM
  • I'm glad that at least one of your issues has not returned with the reinstall. I don't know that the Outlook issue would be related to OneCare, but perhaps you can try excluding the location of your .pst file(s) from being scanned by OneCare's Virus and Spyware protection. You'll find the exclusion button under the Virus and Spyware tab in OneCare/Change Settings. Is it possible that you have add-ins running in Outlook that might be contributing to the behavior?

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:27 PM
  • Well, I wasn't sure where the .pst file for deleted items was, so I excluded the entire C:\ drive.  There was no change.

I don't think I have any add-ins, but even if I did they would be there after I did the System Restore.  There was no slowness after the restore, but prior to the One Care Install.  I really don't have any idea of what it could be. Other Outlook functions seem to be unaffected.  It's kind of strange. Let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:28 PM
  • The Outlook pst file is in a hidden folder.

On XP, C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

In Vista, C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

where %UserName% is your profile login name or ID.

All Outlook data goes into a single .pst file.

For all things Outlook, I usually start at www.slipstick.com to see if there's any information there. You can also try the Outlook newsgroups from here - 

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:27 PM