Windows Live Custom Domains (.homeserver.com)/ Windows Server Solutions Dynamic DNS Temporary Outage Notification RRS feed

• General discussion

• Tomorrow, on January 11, 2011, the service providing free domain name resolution for Windows Home Server (v1), Windows Server Codename “Vail”, Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials Beta, and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials Beta will be undergoing an upgrade to move the service to the Azure platform increasing the stability and performance of the service to support the new products releasing in first half of 2011.  The service will be unavailable for updates during a 24 hour period.  If your IP address changes during this time you will lose remote access to your home or business.  This includes records on the .homeserver.com and .remotewebaccess.com domain names.

If your Internet Service Provider does not change your IP address during the outage time, you will not notice an outage.  If your Internet Service Provider does change your IP address during this outage, you may see the following errors:

·         Alerts from your server’s console stating a failure to update your custom domain name

·         Clients on the Internet may fail to connect to the Remote Access website hosted on your server.

·         Any 3<sup>rd</sup> party add-ins that rely on the remote access functionality may fail

When the service comes back online, no action is required.  Your server will automatically correct its configuration, the health alerts will disappear and your remote clients will be able to correctly resolve your Home Server again.

If you are using a domain provider from your OEM such as the HP Personal Domain Name by TZO.com or TZO.com custom domain name providers, your domain and network will be unaffected during this outage.  Additionally, if you are using a vanity domain name from eNom or GoDaddy for your server, then your domain and network will be unaffected by this outage.

When the upgrade is complete, this post will be updated with information.  After the update, if you’re domain name is not working; you can do the following steps:

(1)    Open the Windows Home Server Console (or Dashboard)

(2)    Click on Settings

(3)    Select the Remote Access item in the Settings page

(4)    Click Repair and follow the instructions on the screen

Thanks

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:54 PM

All replies

• As of now the service is back online and fully operational serving DNS Name resolutions for the .homeserver.com and .remotewebacces.com domain names.  This means that alerts about your Internet Domain Name in your server console should disappear.

In the extremely rare case of the alerts persisting on your server console, please reboot your server or feel free to request help on this thread.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:04 AM
  • i am trying to get my WHS back online. i cannot get my domain re-configured. i keep getting an error code of 80000190. i can access my WHS from the web using my IP address so i know that everything else is working. is there still a problem with homeserver.com?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hi Buffalo Bob,

What troubleshooting steps did you take? Did you:

(1) reboot your box?

(2) re-configure your domain name?

Let me know if those fix it or not, but yes, the .homeserver.com domain name is fully opperational and I just triple checked, the service isn't reporting any errors.

Thanks,

Sean

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:30 PM
  • I am unable to get my WHS back online. When I click on Domain Details. I see the following. Green check by Verifying your Internet Connection to Windows Live, Green check by Updating Windows Live Custom Domains. Red X by the following: Verifying your Web site is accessible from the Internet, Verifying Remote Access is accessible from the Internet, and Verifying Windows Live Custom Domains records.

I have rebooted the router and verified the ports are in the UPnP settings. Rebooted the HP server.

What else can I do?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Hi FireBuff536,

Can you try re-setting up your domain name.  Please run through the wizard and choose a new domain name, do not release your existing domain name as you might loose it.  BUt set up a new domain name and type in the same one again.

Let me know how this works,

Sean

Friday, January 14, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Sean,

I've had to "Repair" (why am always that rare instance?) mine twice since the "updater" upgrade here in Korea.  I have a Dynamic IP, but it has not changed in over two years.  --

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi FireBuff536,

Can you try re-setting up your domain name.  Please run through the wizard and choose a new domain name, do not release your existing domain name as you might loose it.  BUt set up a new domain name and type in the same one again.

Let me know how this works,

Sean

BullDawg
    Friday, January 14, 2011 12:39 PM
  • that's weird indeed.  Are you saying it's working now?
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Ok so I didn't see the post about the outage this AM and tried fixing the remote access.  In the process I released my <domain name>.homeserver.com and created another one to test the access.  I saw the note about the outage five minutes later and tried to re-register my old name and now it's not available anymore?!?  How do I get it back?  I hadn't released it for more than a minute or so and it is not something that would be taken right away, trust me.  The only thing that changed was I had to create a new Windows Live ID cause I couldn't remember the password for the old one.  Would it still be tied to the old Live ID even though I released the domain name?

C.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Well somehow my issue is fixed.

But, Bytecrossing.

I think if you release the x.homeserver.com from Windows Live. All you are doing is deleting it from the WHS. You still have the account. You should be able to reset the password on your old Live account. I could be wrong. But, I have released my name before and had no issues.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:57 AM
  • Glad that it's fixed.  However you are mistaken about the releasing the domain.  if you release it, our server sends a signal to the service that you no longer want to use x.homeserver.com and it is released to the pool of available domain names.  If you simply re-configure a new name, or if you turn off your box, your domain is still associated with your LiveID and you can get it back.  

So we typically don't tell users to release their domain name if they wish to keep it.  there is a rare chance someone can "jump in" and steal the domain name from you. 

I'm glad it worked out in your case though, and that things are working for you again.  Sorry that was a hassle. 

Sean

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:19 AM
  • HI There,

I don't know if this is related to Microsoft Windows changes on homeserver.com domain but my homeserver is not reachable externally recently.

Actually I was wondering how the IP is being updated here at homeserver.com! I was using dydns before but I found homeserver.com more convenient and now the ip that my homeserver is assocated with is not pining. just to mention my IP is not fixed but changing by ISP.

any help would be appreciated specially knowing how myserver.homeserver.com is being updated and refreshed to reflect corrrect/valid IP all the time.

Thanks

Ali

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:56 PM
  • it's probably not related any more.  My guess is there is something else at play.  one thing you can do is figure out your WAN IP address by using the status page of your router.  it'll be an IP address like 96.152.34.210 (this one is random).  it will not start with 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x as those are not WAN IP addresses... then once you are confident you know that IP address go to a command prompt and type in "nslookup foobar.homeserver.com".  This will perform a DNS query on your domain.  If the IP addresses match, then the service is working fine (the first step I would do after making sure there are no alerts in the console).

If the IP addresses are the same, the service is working, it's most likely either a port problem of opening port 443 in your router, or a double-NAT where you have two routers on your network.  we open the port on the one connected to the home server, but not the external one.

Let us know how that goes.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Thanks for quick reply and sure I will check as soon as I get home and my homeserver!

But I was wondering how my entry as salehi.homeserver.com is updated with dynamic IP I get from DHCP by my ISP!

DYDNS uses either client app on the server or setting on certain routers(like linksys I used to have but had to repalce it and new 2wire router doesn't support DYDNS) to do it automatically but wodnering how it works with homeserver.com DNS.

my homeserver periodically sends update request to homeserver.com or ...?

currently salehi.homeserver.com resolves to 70.49.209.216 but as you said I have to try from my homeserver or router to find public IP associated with it and if it macthes with above IP.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Home Server has a built in dynamic DNS client.  Basically every 10 minutes it pings our service to discover it's IP current IP address.  if it's changed, it will call an API on our service to update it to the new record.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Sean, would there be any reason why I couldn't reuse my domain name a few minutes after releasing it other then someone grabbing it?  Out of the blue on Monday the 18th remote access to my home server stopped.  Nothing changed to that point as far as i can tell and has been up for months working fine.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:54 AM
  • I have the same problem. Since this upgrade has been done my control panel says that remote access is connected and working fine. I have spent an hour on the phone with HP tech support. We created a new domain name with HP TZO and it works fine. As soon as I change it back to my Live ID the server cannot be accessed from a remote location with the domain name. It can be accessed with the IP address of the router but not the domain name.

Just to restate it says everything is fine in the control panel of my HP Homeserver with my Live ID domain name.

Any Ideas!

It had been working fine for the last 2 years.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Ever since the outage, I can only reach my server, externally, with the wan ip and port.

I tried repairing, releasing, and creating a new domain name.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Folks,

Please include the nature of your problem, the domain name you have registered (or names if you have released and tried new ones) and which version of WHS you are running (Vail or WHS v1).  It would also be helpful if you sent your WAN IP address from the status page of your router.

DO NOT SEND your LiveID password, although you *may* be asked for your LiveID later, it's not necessary to include it.

Thanks, and again I apologize you are having problems.

Sean

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I'm running WHS v.1 on an HP Mediasmart box - everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago.  I get the error saying I remote access may not function etc. on the console. If I turn off remote access and then turn it back on, it's accessible externally briefly (maybe 10 min or so) before the error and alert come back.  My domain is northdark.homeserver.com.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Your domain works fine for me, perhaps its blocked from the network you're trying to access it from.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:14 AM
  • I have just found out that I have major problems with my Remote Access which upto just recently has been working perfectly. I have tried what you have said above but the Repair option is grayed out.

When I turn of remote access and then turn it back on again, it successfully configures it and states 'to configure a personalised domain click next'. On the next screen if I click on details it states 'Not Working' and if I then click on Configure then choose a different domain rather than release my existing one, then enter my CORRECT Live email address and password it then states Incorrect email address or password. The same credentials logs me into Windows Live perfectly, I even copied and pasted in case of a typo, with the same result. So what is the solution please to get my Remote Access back up and running again. Is their an error in MS Domain Name servers. I have rebooted the server also.

Colin

I have since logged into LIVE and changed my password in case that it would cure it, but it did not, so I have put my password back as it was. Its strange that I can log on to LIVE and this forum with no problem but my same credentials on WHS say they are incorrect, when they have always worked in the past.

• Edited by wecpc Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:55 PM addition
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hello

I have just did a fresh install of WHS with power pack 3. Everything seems to be working great. Accept i cant setup a domain name using my windows live account. I can get remote access by using my IP address so i know that the remote access is working correctly. I get as far as inputing my email and password and as soon as i click next it gives me a error that the RPC server is unavailable error 800706ba. I have made sure that the right services are running and nothing seems to get me past this error. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I have tried absolutely everything to get my Remote Access working with no help here whatsoever. So I have now deleted my Live account and set a new one up, so hopefully soon will be OK again once my new credentials propagate through the system. I have even had to change my logon from wecpc to wecpcs.

Colin

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:42 PM
  • If your password has any special characters in it, such as "!@#$%^&*()", you may want to try changing your password.  we're aware of the issue and working on a fix.  let us know if that fixed your issue.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Sean,

Could you offer a little more detail?  All my passwords have at least two special characters.  Should I be worried?

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    If your password has any special characters in it, such as "!@#$%^&*()", you may want to try changing your password.  we're aware of the issue and working on a fix.  let us know if that fixed your issue.

BullDawg
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:50 AM
  • If your password has any special characters in it, such as "!@#$%^&*()", you may want to try changing your password.  we're aware of the issue and working on a fix.  let us know if that fixed your issue.

That did inded cure the problem thanks, but I still found I could not logon my end despite the console saying everything was fine. It was not until I asked a friend to try and logon remotely which he could and I was explaining to him that I had to loop back in to my router locally for me to test it and the penny dropped, my new Netgear does not support loopback without making an entry for it in the HOSTS file. Once I did that all was well again.

So that has been 2 days of absolute hassle which started from the latest firmware upgrade from Netgear for my DGND3300 which did not recognise my address reservation list which assigned different IP's to my hardware which did not match my port forwarding rules as their UPnP never worked either. All this co-incided with Microsoft's upgrade to a new platform with a simple oversight on Microsoft's part regarding the special characters in the password and Netgear's useless firmware upgrade (it has taken them two attempts at this and they still can not get it right.), resulting a re-flash back to a working version.

In the meantime I have now lost my original domain (wecpc.homeserver.com) I had with you and really wanted as it matched my own domain, although a friend has told me he can still log in to it but with a certificate error. I do not know how that is possible when I released it and can not get it back. (or can I)

Thanks once again

Colin

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Hi BullDawg,

We use the IDCRL 6.5 logon APIs, these APIs have a bug that they don't allow special characters in the password.  They fixed this in IDCRL 7.0 which is not available as a seperate peice from the new Live Essentials.  This should be out in the coming months, and if you opt-in to Microsoft Update (the home page of the WHS Vail Console), you'll get this update and the issue will go away.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I just checked out wecpc.homeserver.com and it does resolve to your home server.  Thus it's not released back to the wild.  I suggest using the same LiveID you registered that domain with you set up an existing domain that you own, and type in that domain name (ie. type in wecpc.homeserver.com) and then provide the LIveID you used to register that (make sure your password doesn't have special characters in it, you can change it at hotmail.com or passport.net).  You should be able to get your domain back.

The password issue is a factoid of a bug in the latest IDCRL (v6.5) that is fixed in the 7.0 build of this Live tool.  ensure you opt your server into windows update to get microsoft updates to get this one pushed down to your server.  Although once you log in once, you can change your password back and it won't affect your domain updates.

Sean

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I just checked out wecpc.homeserver.com and it does resolve to your home server.  Thus it's not released back to the wild.  I suggest using the same LiveID you registered that domain with you set up an existing domain that you own, and type in that domain name (ie. type in wecpc.homeserver.com) and then provide the LIveID you used to register that (make sure your password doesn't have special characters in it, you can change it at hotmail.com or passport.net).  You should be able to get your domain back.

The password issue is a factoid of a bug in the latest IDCRL (v6.5) that is fixed in the 7.0 build of this Live tool.  ensure you opt your server into windows update to get microsoft updates to get this one pushed down to your server.  Although once you log in once, you can change your password back and it won't affect your domain updates.

Sean

I cannot log in to my old Live account as I closed it when I was having problems, and it is saying the email address is still in use, and will not let me re-create it, so I cannot get back into it to change the password to remove the special characters to be able to get my domain back.

Colin

Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I basically have the same problem where I logged in once with a created live account and now I can't log back in with what I think that account is.  I released my homeserver.com domain and it didn't get released and now I can't get it back...  What can I do?
    Friday, February 4, 2011 3:49 PM
  • At this time, we have no way to recover or even prune orphaned domain names in this fashion.  We are looking at ways to improve on this, but since the WHS v1 client is not set up to do this, we can't just wack domain names.  Also due to privacy concerns, the service is not set up to retreive the LiveID associated with a domain name, the LiveIDs are stored as unique identifiers, and it's impossible as a human to figure out the 12345-12345-12345-12345 as foo@hotmail.com.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Friday, February 4, 2011 5:13 PM
  • But shouldn't it be possible, to improve this:

• for still running domains by adding something to the server, which allows you to rebind your homeserver vanity even if the Live Id it was originally tied to has been forcefully expired due to "non activity" on other live services or
    • otherwise free up these domain names, if no new dynamic dns registration has been done for about 90 days?

At least the expiration of Live IDs is not exactly the customers fault, since he could not expect, that daily refresh of the homeserver.com vanity does not count as activity for "live". I also fell into this with a domain name, so I cannot release it to allow the improved security.

I'd prefer not to see this going the same way as XBox gamertags tied to an expired Live ID went - unaccessible for ever.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I have the same question I think: How can I couple the domain-name link back to my IP adres???

The domainname is still in use, but not linked to any IP adress anymore. (nslookup)

I also had to create a new Live account, made it exactly the same as it was before, same name and password...

Is it possible to login into Windows Live and edit there somewhere the link to the IP adres???

Microsoft should be able to delete any non IP linked homeserver.com links I think???

Or will this automatically be deleted if not coupled to an IP after a certain time as Olaf asked???

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:57 AM
  • There is no way to log into Windows Live (although no Azure) to set your IP address.

My above comment still stands.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:09 PM
  • I just too recently tried to restart my remote access. I haven't lost my old name. It used to work fine. I have not changed any settings on my router (cisco/linksys WRT54G2) and I do have vonage VOIP box on the network which is new (I emailed vonage and they said it's not their box that blocks any ports), I still thought that was causing some issues so I even took that out. I still have the problem. I tried repair and that failed to configure the issue - says my server name is ok but unable to get internet access. It says port forwarding is failed, I think 443 - I found it was in "stealth" when I tired a diagnostic site. Since it has been about 6 months since I tried remote access I cannot tell if it's from this thread issue. I have comcast for ISP. Anyway if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, thanks

Robin

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Hi Sean.

I am glad to see this post because I have just performed an update on my home server V1 SP2. I was asked by the system to reconfigure my Domain Name\Remote Access. Now of course, I cannot sign in with my 'including special characters' password on my Windows Live ID.

It's very disappointing and the ripple effect of changing my password is a path I would rather not travel. Also I have had my Hotmail account for over 10 years and don't want to mess with it.

Is there any ETA on the fix being implemented? I can wait if it isn't going to be too long.

On a final note, I also released the Domain Name thinking I’d just reconnect it straight away. Does that Domain Name stay associated to my Windows Live ID even though the Home Server isn’t configured for it? Is there a time limit before I could lose it?

If you could let me know I’d appreciate it.

Thought i should mention, although my Domain Name is not currently configured on the Home Server, i just tried to get to my https://XXXXXXX.homeserver.com/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true link from my work pc and it still works. Is this going to continue even though the server itself isnt configured? 

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Hi Folks,

Good news, If you install the IDCRL 7.0 client on your Home Server, there is no need to change your password to remove any special characters.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ba199ef-3086-4f12-970d-8745be104600

Friday, March 18, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hey Sean,

You seem like you know a lot about the WHS 2011.

I have post a thread here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/4e61452a-c9bb-4d23-afed-69924834b9ab regarding problem with remote web access.

i am using whs 2011 on hyper-v which is running as a domain controller.  i assigned a static ip to whs2011 (10.0.55.5 - example) with my router's gateway (dlink 655), and primary and secondary DNS are using my rogers cable internet DNS server which is (208.x.x.x), i also opened up ports 80, 443, 4125 which port forwards to whs2011.

when i go to setup the remote web, i pick the microsoft homeserver and select my existing sub-domain from my windows live account.  xxx.homeserver.com

then it says registering and after about 5 minutes it comes back saying

"The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occured. Please wait a few minutes, then try again."

now i have DNSexit on my host server so i know that dynamic dns clients work and it can send back dns information to up date the DNSexit records.

however it seems like the microsoft homeserver DNS is not updating my IP or something is not running like the builtin DNS client.  i checked the event logs but nothing relating the DNS or access rights, etc.

so currently for me to get into my homeserver i use the DNSexit - xxx.linkpc.net ----- and i get in no problem as long as i accept the ssl cer error.  but the whole idea to using the microsoft homeserver is so that my whs2011 can get a proper ssl cert and not prompt my family and friends who want to access my server.

(i even tried creating a new sub-domain in homeserver.com and it created the new name but still cannot attach the IP to the DNS)

my only other thoughts is that the builtin DNS client is not running on my whs2011 because it is running on hyper-v as a guest, but h ave no idea what service i am looking for.

any suggestions?

MattLok
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:44 AM
  • I've just installed a new WHS 2011 server and am trying to set up a homeserver.com address but it keeps failing with the following error:

"The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occured. Please wait a few minutes, then try again."

I have a address king-home.homeserver which I'm trying to use which was used for a while with WHS V1 , but I've also tried creating a new one and can see that the new one actually gets created as it is in the drop downlist next time I try to run the setup. 

I've setup port forwarding on ports 80, 443 & 4125 as suggested in another post.  If I put the LAN IP or WAN IP in the web browser on any machine on LAN I get the Windows Home Server 2011 Remote Web Access, so port forwarding is working just cannot get the homeserver.com address to work.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Simon

Sunday, May 8, 2011 12:59 AM
  • As of now the service is back on line and fully operational serving DNS Name resolutions for the .homeserver.com and .remotewebacces.com domain names.  This means that alerts about your Internet Domain Name in your server console should disappear.

In the extremely rare case of the alerts persisting on your server console, please reboot your server or feel free to request help on this thread.

FYI, I have changed ISP, email address, replaced router, motherboard and am unable to connect to my WHS on homeserver.com.  I checked and my domain name does not exist.  I have rebooted several time and am using RDT.  My WHS has a static IP Address.

Do you have ideas how to fix this problem.  I have two Live ID's and neither work.

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:16 PM

• FYI, I have changed ISP, email address, replaced router, motherboard and am unable to connect to my WHS on homeserver.com.  I checked and my domain name does not exist.  I have rebooted several time and am using RDT.  My WHS has a static IP Address.

Do you have ideas how to fix this problem.  I have two Live ID's and neither work.

I have been experiencing the same issue. I have been unable to configure the custom domain after i upgrade the hardware in my server. I'm using a static IP from my ISP and on the server. Have tried to reboot the server numerous times as well as trying this through RDP as well as on the pc itself and it has made no difference. The system has all the updates and everything else is working apart from the custom domain on homeserver.com

Can anyone shed some light on this? 

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:34 AM

• FYI, I have changed ISP, email address, replaced router, motherboard and am unable to connect to my WHS on homeserver.com.  I checked and my domain name does not exist.  I have rebooted several time and am using RDT.  My WHS has a static IP Address.

I have been experiencing the same issue. I have been unable to configure the custom domain after i upgrade the hardware in my server. I'm using a static IP from my ISP and on the server. Have tried to reboot the server numerous times as well as trying this through RDP as well as on the pc itself and it has made no difference. The system has all the updates and everything else is working apart from the custom domain on homeserver.com

Can anyone shed some light on this? 

I am having a similar issue, also.  Since this morning, I am unable to access my xxx.homeserver.com site.  I get an http 500 error.  Nothing changed on my end (that I am aware of) so it seems to be a server problem at Microsoft.  Anyone know how to help with this?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Reboot your server. See if that fixes it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Locking this post because it's informational and no longer timely. Problem reports should be made in new threads.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:24 PM