Connector Issue, very unusual! Pls HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Recently all my 3 PC connected to WHS got same problem once get boot, automatically start up an install program and try to install WHS connector, and then always failed at same stage, shown a message :
    <Error writting to file : C:\proram files\windows home server\backupreader.sys. Verufy that you have access to that directory>
    The file BackupReader.sys actually can be found in the mentioned location, but just stopped there, either retry or cacel, unfortunately Retry didn't work, can do only is cancel, and then everything going back to normal, can login the console and get any files from WHS.
    Today, I tried to reinstall the connector in one of my PC, uninstall connector at first then download connector.exe from WHS, after start the install processing, the process stopped at same stage exactly like I mentioned above, and now this PC still can connect to WHS, but can not login to console, no idea why can not reinstall connector, anyone could help on this?

Thanks,
    G
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• guillaume001 said:

Recently all my 3 PC connected to WHS got same problem once get boot, automatically start up an install program and try to install WHS connector, and then always failed at same stage, shown a message :
    <Error writting to file : C:\proram files\windows home server\backupreader.sys. Verufy that you have access to that directory>
    The file BackupReader.sys actually can be found in the mentioned location, but just stopped there, either retry or cacel, unfortunately Retry didn't work, can do only is cancel, and then everything going back to normal, can login the console and get any files from WHS.
    Today, I tried to reinstall the connector in one of my PC, uninstall connector at first then download connector.exe from WHS, after start the install processing, the process stopped at same stage exactly like I mentioned above, and now this PC still can connect to WHS, but can not login to console, no idea why can not reinstall connector, anyone could help on this?

Thanks,
    G

What operating system are you running on the PCs? Are you an administrator on all of these PCs? What build is your Windows Home Server running?

In the Console>Settings>Resources (and copy the build numbers into the post)

Is this a home built home server?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:33 PM
  • All my 3 PC are running XP SP2, my WHS running the Power Pack 1 OS, and yes I built this home server.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:46 PM
  • guillaume001 said:

All my 3 PC are running XP SP2, my WHS running the Power Pack 1 OS, and yes I built this home server.

Hi,

What are the exact version numbers in the Windows Home Server console

In the Console>Settings>Resources (and copy the build numbers into the post)

Also, are you an administrator on all three boxes with the account you are attempting to install the connector with?

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Sorry for missunderstanding

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

And yes i'm admin on all of PCs when install the connector.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 11:13 AM
  • guillaume001 said:

Sorry for missunderstanding

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

And yes i'm admin on all of PCs when install the connector.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure you were running the RTW with the added QFEs.

Please submit a bug to Connect and include client and server CABs.  We will need to review your log files in order to investigate this.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Dear Lara,

Sorry for keep bothring you, I'm not familiar with PC terms, what should I do for "submit a bug to Connect and include client and server CABs" ? any info need to be captured from my WHS and client PCs?

Thousands thanks!

Have a nice weekend!

G
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:36 PM
  • guillaume001 said:

Dear Lara,

Sorry for keep bothring you, I'm not familiar with PC terms, what should I do for "submit a bug to Connect and include client and server CABs" ? any info need to be captured from my WHS and client PCs?

Thousands thanks!

Have a nice weekend!

G

Please click on the linked text as it will explain what to do. If you cannot see it. Please register on Connect here: https://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Feedback/bug forms for Windows Home Server are here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Feedback (requires registration)

Thanks

Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:49 PM