Windows Live One Care Back up Restore Tool from old XP dead hard drive to new Windows 7-cannot join files back together RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7. I had not gotten info switched over yet and my old hard drive died. We installed Microsoft Security Essentials about 3 weeks before my computer old hard drive died. So it was backing up to my maxtor external hard drive and I am only out 3 weeks of data. I have tried the restore file to get the old files restored to get my info out for my work programs. What the problem is, is that some of my work files are segmented and not together. There are two files that are not complete or one combined file and I need to get them combined so I can use this database. Is there a way to get these two files back into oen by the restore tool.

How do I get these files to restore to another hard drive so it puts these files back to normal.

Thank you

Ron

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, Ron.

The OneCare Restore Tool will install on Windows 7 and will allow you to restore the backups to the new PC. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57

Alternativel, you can extract the files manually, as you are doing, and re-join the segmented files using this free utility: 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

When rejoining, name the extensions of the segments sequentially - .001, .002, .003, etc.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I must not know what I am doing. I cannot get the files to show up in the box when I try to join them. I added .001 and .002 to the end of the files, but it still does not does not even show them there.

I changed the names below and added the extensions.

Part##0 of GarnerQB_4

Changed to: GarnerQB_4.001

Part##1 of GarnerQB_4

Changed to: GarnerQB_4.002

These are Microsoft Office Access Database files. Does this make any sense to you? I used the hjsplit tool to try and join them.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:44 PM
  • yes, that makes sense. Just to be clear, you have manually extracted the parts of the files from the .zip files and then renamed them as above, yes?

I've got no personal expereince with hjsplit, but the instructions about renaming the file extensions have reportedly worked for many people. (Search for rejoin files within this forum)

You might want to try not renaming the files - just add the extensions to the appropriate part. Also, you may want to start with .000 - I may be wrong when listing them as .001, .002.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:57 PM