Incorrect password only on dashboard launchpad, everything else works RRS feed

• Question

• I can't figure out what the problem is. I can access everything from all the computers in the house except I cannot access dashboard, only from the server. Whatever computer I try to sign in with I get incorrect password and I know the password is right. I've changed the user password using the server and it still does it. This started a couple of days ago and I have hunted and searched but am unable to find any posts about this particular problem.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• You are logging into dashboard using the administrator account created during install, not a normal user?.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:49 AM
  • You are logging into dashboard using the administrator account created during install, not a normal user?.

Dave

No I'm not logging in as administrator.  My computer name is Mama1 and when I type in my password I get wrong password (but I know it's right).  Two other laptops in the house are doing the same thing, we all have the same password.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi Meegie

Dashboard is an administrative interface.

If you have not given your normal username access to the dashboard you will not be able to login. If is one of the prompts when creating users through the dashboard. Ordinary users will be able to access the Launchpad but not dashboard. Normally you would access the dashboard to do administration not as a general user. I haven't tried to access dashboard locally as an ordinary user.

At any one time only one, I think, instance of the dashboard GUI can be running. There can be up to two RDP type connections to the server but I think only one dashboard. Launchpad is different and all users should be able to login concurrently.

Edit: Just tried on my system and to login to the server dashboard can only be done locally as administrator. The option to allow dashboard access to a normal user is only from remote access.

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:12 AM Check info
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I have given my normal username access.  It used to work fine until about a week ago on all computers.  I would start my computer, log in with Mama1, launchpad comes up, click "dashboard" enter my password and connect.  Now I get a "password is incorrect error.  My hint is still there and I have not changed any passwords.  All other things work: remote access, shared folders, backups, viewer alerts.  I can even access the dashboard through the remote web access just not on any of the computers in the house except for the server.

Thank you for trying to figure this out because I'm pulling my hair out here and considering a complete reinstall. :D

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:18 AM
  • I suggest you do as frogz1 says. You can not use a User account even if it has administrative rights.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • If you give your normal administrator password does it let you in at this point?

Dave

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • "I suggest you do as frogz1 says. You can not use a User account even if it has administrative rights."

I'm not understanding this Phil.  Why does it have "dashboard" on the launchpad if one can't use it?  And it was working before on my computer.  There is no option to change to Administrator when you click dashboard from the launchpad, although my account is an administrator when I log into my computer.  Maybe I should restart my computer, log in with Administrator, my password, and see if that works?

"If you give your normal administrator password does it let you in at this point?"

My password is the same as the administrator account.  I have checked in the dashboard and allowed my account access to everything including "Server Dashboard."  I went as far as to add myself to administrators so I can sign in as Mama1 on the server itself.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Apologies. What I meant to say was you need to have the rights to log on and administer via the Dashboard which is set by an Administrator. Can you select Dashboard properties and uncheck the "Remember user" and try again, re-entering the password? I always administer my server with my Administrator account rather than a User account.

Also, try creating a new user account and see if that works.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Apologies. What I said was wrong - you need to have the rights to log on and administer via the Dashboard which is set by an Administrator in the properties for that user. Can you select Dashboard properties and uncheck the "Remember user" and try with your Administrator account?
    Can you tell me where to find Dashboard properties Phil?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Of course I meant Launchpad. If you are logged to the Launchpad there should be a downwards facing arrow in the top right corner.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Okay tried what you said Phil and no luck, even adding a new user didn't work.  One thing I find odd is the first time I try it's sits at "loading" for about 20 seconds and then tells me bad password but the next time I try it's instant, even after logging out and trying a new user.  It's like whs is running through a checklist and then saying "nope, all dashboard attempts are banned."  I don't think it's on the client end but rather the server itself and somehow a setting got changed.  I think I will reinstall whs and I know that will take care of the problem but what a pain in the butt.  I could live without the dashboard on client computers because I can login using the server but it's irritating that it worked fine and then didn't.  Thanks for all your help. :)
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Good luck - do you have a Server backup from before it went wrong that you can restore?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I do Phil but I've tried to run it twice and get an error at the very end that it was unsuccessful.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Sounds as though a re-install may well be your best bet as you seem to be experiencing errors I have not seen reported before!

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Yup I think so Phil.  Thanks for all your help. :)
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Just thought I'd update you Phil.  I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on my DIY server (the one I was having problems with) and then installed WHS2011 on my EX470 so I'm happy now, everything is working great. :)  Thanks again for all your help.

Kansas

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Okay tried what you said Phil and no luck, even adding a new user didn't work.  One thing I find odd is the first time I try it's sits at "loading" for about 20 seconds and then tells me bad password but the next time I try it's instant, even after logging out and trying a new user.  It's like whs is running through a checklist and then saying "nope, all dashboard attempts are banned."  I don't think it's on the client end but rather the server itself and somehow a setting got changed.  I think I will reinstall whs and I know that will take care of the problem but what a pain in the butt.  I could live without the dashboard on client computers because I can login using the server but it's irritating that it worked fine and then didn't.  Thanks for all your help. :)

It seems you have the issue resolved, but I noticed a problem similar when I made 2nd and more clients. 

In WHS2011 you have to create the client account first, then go to the client and add the SW; different than WHS.

I caught me out a few times when my ID & password was not accepted.

Britgeezer
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:12 AM