Using Mesh with Outlook Personal Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using the Microsoft Outlook personal folder backup utility I downloaded from Microsoft.com.  The destination folder on my laptop is a folder that I have synced with my Mesh and another folder.  However, the back up file (file extension is .pst, size is ~500mb) is not syncing with my mesh folder or my other computer.  Is this intentional or by error?  I would like to be able to have a remote backup of my .pst, in case my laptop ever crashes.

Love this product.

Court
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Its intentional.  This is due to the way Outlook handles the .pst files.  Ben (the Mesh guy) has mentioned that Outlook constantly writes to the .pst file so conflicts can be made too easily.  However that doesnt mean that Outlook will be completely Un-Meshable, its just not possible at the moment.

More info can be found here.
    And your wish can be added to the Wish List here.
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by cowatson Friday, October 31, 2008 9:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Friday, October 31, 2008 9:37 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:11 AM
  • The previous commentor is correct the pst is un-sync-able.  However, your scenario sounds slightly different from the normal outlook sync request.  If all you wanted to do was make sure your backup is syncing up to the mesh, you can work around this issue by changing the file extension to something other than pst.  Instead of "outlook.pst", you can use "outlook.pst.bak".  As long as you are not opening the Outlook file from the mesh folder, your syncing will work and you will avoid file conflicts.

Cheers!

Aaron
    ~Aaron
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Sadly, I am now having the same problem with my Money file as well.  I have tried renaming both with a .bak file extension, but they are still not syncing.  I hope this gets fixed (without a manual workaround).  I guess I will just use foldershare until it is.

Court
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:58 PM
  • It did start working however, when I changed the file name to outlook.wmv...weird, and I am not sure it is helpful if I have to manually do it.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:02 PM