What version of SQL Server to download with SharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is what I would like to ask, and don't know where/whom to ask:

I want to learn about SharePoint, and found out that there is free downloads available. I was not sure which one to choose, but downloaded SharePoint Developer. Is this enough to create and try things out?

Somehow, I got the impression that it might be a good idea to have SQL Server installed together with SharePoint, and learned there were free downloads of that one to, but 5 versions to choose from. I'm confused about how to proceed.

I have a strong background in MS Office, and want to try out using Office 2010 with SharePoint 2010, including PowerPivot. Other than that, I just want to learn what you can do with SharePoint 2010 and try it out. I'm want to do this on a notebook with 1 GB RAM running Win 7.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what software to install, if there is any particular order in which I ought to install them?

Any friendly suggestions about projects to start with, free online curriculums to follow, or anything else you would like to share with me, based on what I have shared here, is also appreciated.

/Joakim

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers