Scan causing PC to become non responsive RRS feed

• Question

• I have now installed a trial of WLOC on 2 PCs - one running XP Professional SP2 and the other on a Laptop running Vista Home Premium ( I have no problems with the Vista OS)

On running a scan on the XP desktop, the scan runs fine (albiet slow) and then what must be near the end, caused the program to become non responsive. I then have to stop the scan through ALT/CTRL/DEL and stop the non responding program (which takes up 10 minutes to complete). After this the whole PC is just about useless. Any attempt to do anything just results in a hang situation and a reboot will take upwards of 5 minutes to have a "WinSSNotify not responding" message and must select "End Now" then the process finally allows the system to reboot after another 3 or 4 minutes.

This has happened after each attempt to scan - Quick scan hangs after 90%, full scan never ends and custom scan stopped after 6 hours failing to finish.

I had norton previously installed, ran the uninstall tool to remove it before installing WLOC.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:42 AM

Answers

• See this post for information that might help - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2  If the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:36 PM
  • OK an update with a solutions, albiet by default....

I made contact with customer support and a reply was reasonably quick. A request to have a diagnotic tool downloaded and run was made and executed with a detailed troubleshooting list provided. I have edited the response and the list below as it may help some those who have not had exectly the same problem I had.

As it turns out this solution was only partially the problem and I provide my outcome here

First of all it appears that I may have corrected the situation, although I can not be sure that the tasks I completed were individually, singularly or collectively  responsible, but I thought I would try and provide a summary as you may know.

I first went to the support log in WLOC and read through what had been scanned and what had been found and noticed the following entry

Windows Live OneCare found potentially harmful or unwanted software on your computer
    Threat Name: PWS:HTML/Bankfraud
    Detection Date and Time: 12/05/2008 9:36 PM
    File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\9m8i9gxd.default\Mail\Local Folders\Inbox
    Threat Severity: Severe
    Threat Category: Password Stealer
    Contained Object: (part0685Smile
    Threat found by On Demand Scan: (ANTIVIRUS_ONDEMAND)
    Threat Status:

Removed

As this was a possible threat, and although it had said it had been removed, I was curious to see where the problem existed. As I had not used thunderbird for such a long time, and as the program itself was supposed to be uninstalled, I located the files and deleted ALL folders pertaining to Thunderbird. I then used a disk cleaner to wipe all trace of the files from the recycle bin.

Inbox folders were briefly mentioned in another forum post, so there may be some credence to that, although I fail to see how that alone could freeze the scan for such a long period of time and also render the PC useless.

I read through this work through and opened msconfig to discover that the settings were checked for a selective startup. I had in the past had an issue with resources and decided to stop some devices from starting and although I thought it had been changes back to normal, it was obviously more comfortable working with normal off. This may explain the problem at least in my case as there may have been something required that was not operating. I am sorry I can not advise which were unchecked. Since then I have used third party software to avoid unwanted startups (installed over 12 months ago)

I selected "normal startup" and thought I would try a quick scan. It went through without a hitch

Just to make sure I repeated a scan by selecting a full scan.

Success again.

I hope this at least helps someone else and that what I have done may assist others

The reply from support started with a confirmation of the trouble and gave the following advice (edited)

From the article that you have posted in your previous email on the matter, it relates to the process in task manager being overloaded in the process of the program running. For your issue it is more related to other programs running or working; the workaround would be to do a cleanboot to find out which and to eliminate the matter. What clean boot does is to run the windows environment system with minimal 3rd party programs that might conflict with the scanning process.  

I’ve put together some steps that I would like you to try to troubleshoot this issue. Please refer to the steps below.

Steps to be taken:

1) Click on start, click run, type msconfig and click ok.

2) In system configuration utility, under the general tab, choose selective startup, then untick box number 1 (load SYSTEM.INI), number 2 (load WIN.INI) and number 4 (load startup items).

3) Then click on the services tab. At the bottom left of that screen, you will see a small box that says “Hide all Microsoft services”, have the box ticked. Then click disable all. In the services list, look for services called “OneCare AntiSpyware” and “OneCare Firewall”, have these 2 services ticked. Click apply, click close and restart the computer.

* After the restart try the scan again and notice the progress on that process, does it stop at 90% again. Please do note and feedback to me on this.

If the troubleshooting steps I have provided did not resolve the issue, I will need to obtain some necessary information. Please note that the more information I obtain relating to your issue, the more I will be able to provide you with suitable troubleshooting steps. Please answer the following questions:

Those questions not relevant to this post as it refers to my PC

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:10 AM

All replies

• See this post for information that might help - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2  If the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Thanks Jim,

I have sent the following to support and posted here for reference. Will advise outcome and post if and when a silotion found

I have installed a trial version on 2 PCs (I Desktop operating XP Pro SP2 the other a laptop operating Vista Home Premium) I have not experienced a problem with the Laptop but have an issue that I can not resolve on the XP Desktop.

One care causes the system to become non responsive during a scan and hangs at about 90%. I can advise the following:

I have tried a quick scan, a full system scan and a custom scan, all of which stop after a with me giving up after 6 hours, only to have to ALT/CTRL/DEL and find one care non responding. I have tried a tune up with the system left on overnight to find the first 2 steps completed and the system hanging at 90% again.

I did notice that the scan path showing at the time was stopped at \?\\C:\Documents and Settings\Bill…………etc where as the scan path usually shows only the path after C:\. I thought that was unusual but who knows.

I have tried to follow the fixes on web forum without resolving the issue http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2 and have noticed that under services I do not have an entry for Peer Name Resolution Protocol or Peer Network Location Awareness. I have however set Network Awareness to auto. There does not seem to be any other entries for alternative fixes

At least a scan report was showing and it had removed a supposed threat in a mail box folder that I have now removed the source as this was mentioned in another post. The Threat was removed by one care anyway.

FYI I had Norton installed before this and was looking for PC protection that was more useful in terms of system usability and performance. I had used the removal tool to remove prior to installation if One Care

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:22 PM
  • SABill, I look forward to your results with support.

If it hangs at 90%, that is typically when OneCare is taking action on infections found. If it has stalled there for hours, that would seem to indicate that OneCare is in some broken state, unable to clean the infection found. I am hopeful that Support can identify and remove the infection based on log reporting.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:29 AM
  • OK an update with a solutions, albiet by default....

I made contact with customer support and a reply was reasonably quick. A request to have a diagnotic tool downloaded and run was made and executed with a detailed troubleshooting list provided. I have edited the response and the list below as it may help some those who have not had exectly the same problem I had.

As it turns out this solution was only partially the problem and I provide my outcome here

First of all it appears that I may have corrected the situation, although I can not be sure that the tasks I completed were individually, singularly or collectively  responsible, but I thought I would try and provide a summary as you may know.

I first went to the support log in WLOC and read through what had been scanned and what had been found and noticed the following entry

Windows Live OneCare found potentially harmful or unwanted software on your computer
    Threat Name: PWS:HTML/Bankfraud
    Detection Date and Time: 12/05/2008 9:36 PM
    File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\9m8i9gxd.default\Mail\Local Folders\Inbox
    Threat Severity: Severe
    Threat Category: Password Stealer
    Contained Object: (part0685Smile
    Threat found by On Demand Scan: (ANTIVIRUS_ONDEMAND)
    Threat Status:

Removed

As this was a possible threat, and although it had said it had been removed, I was curious to see where the problem existed. As I had not used thunderbird for such a long time, and as the program itself was supposed to be uninstalled, I located the files and deleted ALL folders pertaining to Thunderbird. I then used a disk cleaner to wipe all trace of the files from the recycle bin.

Inbox folders were briefly mentioned in another forum post, so there may be some credence to that, although I fail to see how that alone could freeze the scan for such a long period of time and also render the PC useless.

I read through this work through and opened msconfig to discover that the settings were checked for a selective startup. I had in the past had an issue with resources and decided to stop some devices from starting and although I thought it had been changes back to normal, it was obviously more comfortable working with normal off. This may explain the problem at least in my case as there may have been something required that was not operating. I am sorry I can not advise which were unchecked. Since then I have used third party software to avoid unwanted startups (installed over 12 months ago)

I selected "normal startup" and thought I would try a quick scan. It went through without a hitch

Just to make sure I repeated a scan by selecting a full scan.

Success again.

I hope this at least helps someone else and that what I have done may assist others

The reply from support started with a confirmation of the trouble and gave the following advice (edited)

From the article that you have posted in your previous email on the matter, it relates to the process in task manager being overloaded in the process of the program running. For your issue it is more related to other programs running or working; the workaround would be to do a cleanboot to find out which and to eliminate the matter. What clean boot does is to run the windows environment system with minimal 3rd party programs that might conflict with the scanning process.  

I’ve put together some steps that I would like you to try to troubleshoot this issue. Please refer to the steps below.

Steps to be taken:

1) Click on start, click run, type msconfig and click ok.

2) In system configuration utility, under the general tab, choose selective startup, then untick box number 1 (load SYSTEM.INI), number 2 (load WIN.INI) and number 4 (load startup items).

3) Then click on the services tab. At the bottom left of that screen, you will see a small box that says “Hide all Microsoft services”, have the box ticked. Then click disable all. In the services list, look for services called “OneCare AntiSpyware” and “OneCare Firewall”, have these 2 services ticked. Click apply, click close and restart the computer.

* After the restart try the scan again and notice the progress on that process, does it stop at 90% again. Please do note and feedback to me on this.

If the troubleshooting steps I have provided did not resolve the issue, I will need to obtain some necessary information. Please note that the more information I obtain relating to your issue, the more I will be able to provide you with suitable troubleshooting steps. Please answer the following questions:

Those questions not relevant to this post as it refers to my PC

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Thanks for the update, SABill.

As I mentioned, the 90% hang is typically what you'll see when it is removing a threat during the scan. Apparently, going after some threats can be more resource intensive than others, though I don't know why.

-steve

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:59 PM