Connection between OCS2007 and CiscoRouter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody

During my labpractice I have the following problem:

I'm runnning 3 virtual machines. One with Windows Server 2003 and two with Windows XP SP3.
    All the ocs2007 services are up and running on the Window Server virtual machine. I can also make local calls between my 2 Windowsclients using OCS. So I don't have any problems there.

The next thing I have to do is to connect the OCSserver with a Ciscorouter to make connection with another Ciscorouter over WAN(labpractice). The Ciscorouter on the OCSside is configured correctly and the interface ipaddress where the OCSserver is connected to is 192.168.30.2

I've searched the internet for some examples but they all use a PSTN connection and make use of a Mediation Server. Since I don't make use of a PSTN connection and I don't even know what a Mediation Server is, the examples aren't much useful to me.

So my question is :
    -How do I configure my OCSserver to send all the outgoing calls (not local one's) to the router?
    -How do I give my OCSclients the correct phonenumbers for the outgoing calls?

Kind regards
    m.voet
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:29 PM

All replies

• To clarify, are you talking about PC-to-PC Communicator calls or are you attempting to leverage 'Enterprise Voice' functionality from your OCS deployment?  Unless I'm reading that wrong it appears you are attempting to make 'outgoing' calls without a standard phone system, which is required.  If by 'outgoing calls' you mean Communicator-to-Communicator calls between internal and external OC clients, then you'll need to setup an Edge Server to facilitate that.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I want to make a call between an internal OCS client and an external Cisco ipphone.
    I didn't know that I've had to use an Edge Server. I will configure this first using the deployement guide.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:40 AM
  •  m.voet wrote:
    I want to make a call between an internal OCS client and an external Cisco ipphone.
    I didn't know that I've had to use an Edge Server. I will configure this first using the deployement guide.

Is the edge server going to work to make an external call to a Cisco phone? Or can you only make use of an edge server to call with external ocsclients?

Since I'm doing this as a labpractice, I don't think that I have to make use of the ISA server. Or am I wrong here?

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Your configuration should or may look like these choices:

OCS mediation server-->cisco router(IP-IP GW configuration)--> cisco callmanager

or

OCS mediation server --> Cisco router with CME

or

OCS mediation server (with patch to remove + sign) --> Cisco Callmanager

There are plenty of threads in this forum on all these configuration. Just search for IPIP GW or Cisco Callmanager in the forum you will find a bunch of stuff.

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

You have a few options for doing this configuration none of which use an edge server. Here they are:

OCS Mediation server --> Cisco router (configured as IP-IP GW) --> Cisco Callmanager

or

OCS Mediation server --> Cisco Router (configured with CME)

or

OCS Mediation server (Configured with patch to remove +) --> Cisco Callmanger

If you do a search in the forum for Callmanager or IP-IP GW you will find a heap of information. Not sure what you mean by external but these are the ussual configuration used for connectivity to Cisco equipment.

Cheers
    Chris
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:22 PM
  • So this should work to make external calls to a cisco ipphone?

OCS Mediation server --> Cisco Router (configured with CME) --> WAN(labsimulation) --> Cisco Router (configured with CME) -> Cisco ipphone

Thanks for the info.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Just one small change. The router on the OCS side doesnt need to run CME, just route your IP traffic across the WAN.

OCS Mediation server --> Cisco Router  --> WAN(labsimulation)
    --> Cisco Router (configured with CME) -> Cisco ipphone

Cheers
    Chris
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the information!
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:31 PM