none
Can not open WHS shares from Win7 WHS console

Question

• Help please. Whenever I click on the Shared Folders link I get the following message: "Cannot open Windows Home Server Shares. Please check access permissions and try again". This only happens with the Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit pc. I have no problem accessing shares from the Windows XP Home 32 bit pc. I can RDP into the shared folder but not through the console. My ZoneAlarm firewall is set-up to allow connections from both pcs and the server via each IP address. Both computers have wired connections to the server. All computers are current with the latest service and power packs. I have tried any suggestions for all the similar problems I have seen in this forum and others with no improvement.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:37 AM

All replies

• Help please. Whenever I click on the Shared Folders link I get the following message: "Cannot open Windows Home Server Shares. Please check access permissions and try again". This only happens with the Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit pc. I have no problem accessing shares from the Windows XP Home 32 bit pc. I can RDP into the shared folder but not through the console. My ZoneAlarm firewall is set-up to allow connections from both pcs and the server via each IP address. Both computers have wired connections to the server. All computers are current with the latest service and power packs. I have tried any suggestions for all the similar problems I have seen in this forum and others with no improvement.
    Have you tried completely disabling (and perhaps even uninstalling) ZA?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Yes I did. Strangely eventhough both pcs have the same version of ZoneAlarm, only the Windows 7 box is having the Shared Folder problem.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:30 AM
  • Yes I did. Strangely eventhough both pcs have the same version of ZoneAlarm, only the Windows 7 box is having the Shared Folder problem.
    Can you successfully ping your server from your 7 PC, both by name and by IP address?  Can you run ipconfig /all on all 3 computers (WHS, 7, and XP) and post the results here?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:44 AM
  • The ping test was successful on all machines by IP address and name:

Windows 7 to Windows XP and the server

Windows XP to Windows 7 and the server

Windows Homer Server to Windows 7 and Windows XP

Below are the ipconfig results:

Windows IP Configuration   Windows 7

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RdoWin7
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-02-D2-5D
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-02-D2-5C
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9579:4d25:7357:c878%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 07, 2010 6:31:24 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:08:51 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234882123
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-80-AD-61-00-04-4B-02-D2-5C

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:1061:35b5:b333:c512(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1061:35b5:b333:c512%13(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C7CC05F9-E381-47A0-B9CF-5E30D260216B}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Windows IP Configuration  Homeserver

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : leehome-server
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connect
    ion
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-C0-7A-B7-6C
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:10:06 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:10:06

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\R Daneel Olivaw>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration    Windows XP Home

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : homexp-pc
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Con
    nection
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-C0-51-A0-99
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:16:20 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:16:20 PM

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Help with this problem anybody?
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:02 AM
  • On 6/20/2010 2:02 AM, Rgiskard wrote:

Help with this problem anybody?

Are you able to access shares on the Windows XP Computer from the Windows 7 Computer, and vice versa?

Also in reply to Kariya's question about Zone Alarm, you said you disabled it, but you didn't really tell us whether anything changed by doing that.  So, the question still stands:  If you disable Zone Alarm (or uninstall it), does the Console connect with the server, or are you able to open the shares on the server from the computer?

Also are all of your usernames and passwords the same (on all three computers)?  And the username that you're trying to log into the server/shared folders for has been allowed that access (in the server console)? You may need to allow remote access for the username as well.

Typically access permissions issues are on the folders on the server itself.  The Console should configure those for you.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:54 PM
  • In the IP configuration you see a DNS Ssuffix and a DNS Suffix Search list. This may cause name resolution attempts go to the Internet, since your router is not an authoritative DNS server for the domain gateway.2wire.net. For more details see the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.

Another possible reason is a time mismatch between client and server. Validate all three items - date, time and time zone - to match the reality. Often a fresh installed home server points to the Pacific time zone, causing a gap as soon as you correct the optical difference on the clock. This gap causes authentication attempts to fail for Windows 7 clients.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I'm not able to access the XP shares from the Windows 7 pc. I can however, access the Windows 7 shares from the XP pc. I get the error code 0x80070035, The Network Path Was Not Found, when I attempt to access the server shares and the XP shares from the Windows 7 pc.

I did not disable ZA. However, both pcs have the same version and configuration of ZA, including IP addresses for each computer. I have tried disabling the anti-virus/anti-spyware with no effect on the Windows 7 pc. I could not open the shares from the Windows 7 pc.  

All usernames and passwords are the same on each computer. The only usename on the server is configured to allow access to the shares and the other pcs. It also is allowed remote access.

Access to the shared folder is the problem. How do I view and/or change the permissions for the shared folders on the server?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:46 AM
  • I'm not able to access the XP shares from the Windows 7 pc. I can however, access the Windows 7 shares from the XP pc. I get the error code 0x80070035, The Network Path Was Not Found, when I attempt to access the server shares and the XP shares from the Windows 7 pc.

I did not disable ZA. However, both pcs have the same version and configuration of ZA, including IP addresses for each computer. I have tried disabling the anti-virus/anti-spyware with no effect on the Windows 7 pc. I could not open the shares from the Windows 7 pc.  

All usernames and passwords are the same on each computer. The only usename on the server is configured to allow access to the shares and the other pcs. It also is allowed remote access.

Access to the shared folder is the problem. How do I view and/or change the permissions for the shared folders on the server?

Permissions are changed through the Console.  However, I don't think that's your problem.  It sounds to me like there is a problem with your Win7 PC (it can't open the shares on the server or on your XP client).  Can you open any share on any computer from your Win7 client?
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:20 PM
  • I can't open any shares on any other pc - Windows XP or WHS.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:06 PM
  • I can't open any shares on any other pc - Windows XP or WHS.
    I would try uninstalling (not just disabling) ZA from your Win7 client, reboot it, then see if it works.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Uninstalling Zone Alarm did not have any effect. I still can not open the WHS shared folder from Windows 7.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Did you read the fAQ?

What is the setting for the network - is it set to private or work? Did you correct the DNS suffix issues - Windows 7 is prefering DNS a lot. So if you try to connect to \\server, the dNS suffix makes \\server.gateway.2wire.net from it. Since your router feels not authoritative for this name, it tries to ask the DNS server, which is authoritative for the gateway.2wire.net domain. If by some reason like advertisement not a name not found answer is replied, but a redirection to a webserver in that domain happens, your client will attempt to connect to the wrong machine, which fails.

You can try to get rid of the DNS suffix entries by reconfiguring your router, or you can change the hosts file (and enable NetBios over TCP/IP on the WINS tab on the client).

Another reason could be, that the user name is not correct (display name and real account name different, if you renamed them in the past). The FAQ How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested would handle this situation. (Or create another identical user account with the same password on server and this client.)

Olaf

Friday, July 2, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Yes, I read your FAQ.

There is only 1 username for Windows 7. It matches exactly the display name and username for the server. Also it matches the username returned by the DOS command and it is the only username listed in the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel query.

Regarding the DNS suffix problem, I did enable NetBios over TCP/IP on the WINS tab for the client.

I also added a line in the hosts file for the server name and address:
    192.168.1.67   MYXXXXX-SERVER 

I'm not sure how to reconfigure the router which is issued by my broadband provider, ATT U-verse, for my cable, phone and internet access. I think the network setting is private.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:56 AM
  • I think the network setting is private.

this can be seen, if you click the network and sharing center icon in the task tray, open the Network and Sharing center and check, which icon is shown for the network. It may also be worth a try to enable File and Printer Sharing on the client in the extended sharing options (Choose homegroup and sharing options/Change advanced sharing settings).

Olaf

Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:31 AM
  • With all respect, i have had this probblem suddenly on all my WIN7 machines, i re-installed winxp and now averything is fine for several months.
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:48 PM
  • The network is classified as a "Home" network and File and Printer Sharing for Windows 7 is turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings. Both these settings were previously enabled so that Windows 7 could share files and the printer with Windows XP.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the Windows 7 reinstall and I also tried the WHS reinstall as well. Unfortunately, my results were not as rewarding as yours.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP set to Enabled in the TCP/IP Properties of the network adapter (Advanced/WINS tab) on both the client and the server?

If not it may be worth a try to change this settings, adjust the LMHOSTS on the client and reboot both machines. After reboot give them some time to determin the master browser and establish the NetBIOS name list for the LAN.

In case this also does not help check the event log of the server, especially the Security log for related errors. (I assume the user account has no blank password.)

Olaf

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:51 PM
  • NetBIOS is set to enabled in the TCP/IP properties for both the client and the server.

What am I looking for in the Security portion of the server event log?

What about the access permissions for the Shared Folder. What should that look like?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Access permissions for shared folders are not really transparent, since they work with some internal to WHS groups and not directly enumerating user accounts, therefore it makes no sense to play around with those outside of the console.

From the description you deliver it looks almost all fine (besides the DNS Suffixes) - but I would ask again, if you veryfied the matching of date, time and time zone of server and client.

In the event log you would look for Access denied messages - those would show, that at least the name has been resolved properly.

Running out of ideas from abstract description.

Olaf

Friday, July 9, 2010 9:04 PM
  • I verified that the date, time and time zone are the same for the client and the server.

In the event log for Security, I did not see any Access denied messages. What I did see was mostly Logon/Logoff and Account Logon entries.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:19 AM
  • I have the same problem.

I have 2 Windows 7 machines and 1 XP. Everything has been working great for over a year, then suddenly I can not access the WHS shares from the W7 machines, only XP. It asks for log-in info, but access is denied on all user accounts that previously worked fine. I can still log on to the Console, I can still access remotely, I can still log on to my utorrent GUI. I just can't access my file from the W7 computers.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Oh my god! All I had to do was fix the time and date on WHS and everything is back to working perfectly! That took me weeks, its just too simple to be fair.
    • Proposed as answer by Sam_Iam Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:21 AM
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:21 AM
  • I wish it was that simple. I had previously synchronized all 3 computers with the same date, time and time zone. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:38 PM